Is it a EULA violation to disable the Antivir PE Classic avnotify nag/update screen?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EliteKiller, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've seen this issue discussed over the years, as well as numerous workarounds (even the ones that I've posted here) on how to block the window using the functionality built into the OS. However I have never seen an official comment from Avira staff regarding the avnotify screen being mandatory, and if you block it from popping up you are violating the EULA. Any comments?

2. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Re: Is it a EULA violation to disable the Antivir PE Classic avnotify nag/update scre

The last statement I saw said something along the lines of "if you find a way to disable it, keep it to yourself and don't post it on the Avira forum."

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Re: Is it a EULA violation to disable the Antivir PE Classic avnotify nag/update scre

Avira says it IS a violation.

"Hi,
    This is a qoute from EULA:
    5) The Licensee is not authorised,

a. with the exception of the reproductions expressly authorised in this agreement, to create other reproductions of the Software or the documentation, either wholly or in part, on the same or on other disks/carrier media; this also includes the output of the program code to a printer;

b. to transfer the Software from one computer to another computer or recording device via a network or other data transfer channel, insofar as the receiving device is not a computer or other recording device of the Licensee which is referred to in, and understood to be within, the framework of this Agreement;

c. without the written express permission of the Licensor, to change, translate, retro-develop, decompile or disassemble the Software, or to create works derived from the Software or the documentation, or to reproduce, translate, change or create works derived from the documentation , insofar as this is not absolutely necessary within the context of contractual use;"

In other words, disabling the nag/update screen is "changing" the Software and against the Eula.

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Wrong. Depending on which method you're using, the software is unchanged; its code remains exactly the same as how the developers wrote and released it.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

who cares if it is? :)

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, I think it depends how you disable it. ;) Changing it via registry or applying patches is definetely a modification of the software.

You can't compare disabling on-acces protection for example, which is included as an option in the program with avnotify disabling.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

LOL :thumb:

8. carioca

carioca Registered Member

Hi, buddy,
    You mean to disable the splash screen only? I've put a thread at the avira forum without any trouble. What's the bennefit to take off the avira avnotify screen? Best Regards.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I thought the OP was talking about the update ad and getting rid of it. Who wants to disable the boot splash screen? That is irrelevant and harmless. But the ad can become irritating especially for USA folks as the ads are not geared to us and sometimes are offensive and silly/stupid and very amateurish appearing. Recall that toilet ad? Geez...was that tasteless.

10. ink

ink Registered Member

Of course you can, you have the right of control what the program behave on your computer, you can disable any program you don't want to run.
    If you think disable the notify is a change, then disable the real time protection is also a change. Antivir do not specify you should read their ads in order to use their software, then you do not violate their rights, if they ask you not to do so or tell other guys as you like, they violate your rights.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can control avnotify with any HIPS or even via OS. If it,s against EULA then using a HIPS on ur system might be against EULA of MS.( However changing Avnotify file and replacing it with some dummy file etc will be against the EULS).

BTW is it moral to offer a free camel and tying a nagging cat in its neck who is contantly askling u to pay money. I mean if it nags once in a month or so, it,s OK but it nags every day and sometimes more than once a day( with updates). It,s radiculous indeed. I will call it a bad bussiness practice.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Don't ask. Don'ttell.:ninja:

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even so, I think stopping avnotify.exe from executing is not against the license. You can install any software you like and prevent it's execution without being in violation of any license agreements...

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Correct!

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Avira just said it is a matter of "honor". You guys should go post in the Avira thread. The Avira mod also said that it is only a few moments of the user's time once a week...which makes no sense if we are talking about the ad that the free version users have to view every update...so I am confused as to what people in this thread and Avira are even talking about. :(

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Atleast I am talking of avnotify ad that pops up with updates.
    I don,t bother about the spalsh screen. That OK for me and I will not try to disable it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.