Is FreeOTFE as secure and as hard to crack as TrueCrypt?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dread, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

I see that FreeOTFE can be ran from a USB drive without administrator privileges. TrueCrypt cannot. Is FreeOTFE as safe and secure as TrueCrypt? I read somewhere that if you try to crack TrueCrypt, TrueCrypt has something to slow down the attack or make it harder. If I knew FreeOTFE was as secure I would use it for my USB drives.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Just one correction before you go any further. FreeOTFE cannot be run without admin rights. FreeOTFE Explorer can be run on a USB drive without admin rights, but it's read only.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

4. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

o_O BUT it needs to be installed - so admin again.

Freeofte explorer is a very good choice for a usb based encryption IMO

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

It needs admin privs for the initial setup of the usb device. Once completed, the thumb drive can now be used on any machine without an admin account. Even the original setup machine.

6. RedNarg

RedNarg Registered Member

Yes - all of the encryption algorithms offered by Truecrypt are also available in FreeOTFE.

What's more, the encryption offered by FreeOTFE can be proven - unlike Truecrypt - as FreeOTFE encrypted volumes can be mounted and verified by independent 3rd party implementations of the algorithms offered (e.g. under Linux)

FreeOTFE also offers a much, much richer set of encryption options, giving more advanced users full control of how data is secured.

Among other things, FreeOTFE implements PBKDF2 - which is the standard for password strengthening.

It takes the users password and processes it several thousand times (or a user definable number). This means that it takes about a second to try any password the user enters - this is insignificant if you know the password and are mounting a volume, but makes it impossible to launch a brute force attack on the user's password, as it slows an attacker down to the point that it's not viable to try password after password after password...

7. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Freeofte explorer is a good choice, i use it exactly because its opensource, no admin needed and is portable. The biggest drawback for truecrypt IMO is its need for admin rights.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The encryption offered by FreeOTFE can be proven, why not TrueCrypt? That doesn't sound good and seems like you can't be sure then what you're getting with TrueCrypt.

FreeOTFE also offers a much, much richer set of encryption options? Would you or someone please explain what these are?

FreeOTFE implements PBKDF2? So what does TrueCrypt implement?

Encryption is not my strengths in computing I thought Rijndael AES was the standard for password strengthening?

Now this is all just blabber, but I really don't get it, that if FreeOTFE is better, I don't get why it's not being used as much as TrueCrypt or with the same level of popularity. FreeOTFE, certainly isn't as popular, probably because the website and gui leave something to be desired to the average user.

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.