is free download manager safe to use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

I want to use a free download manager to speed up and FDM (free download manager) maybe the right one. But I read that its older versions had viruses, rootkits, adware and toolbars from the review on CNET. So does anyone use it or knows if the latest version is SAFE TO USE? Also is it good for IE and Chrome?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

3. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

If you are using IE, try out S10 Password Vault-it's under 1mb download and runs 1.5 mb in memory. After you set it up, all you have to do I'd right click it to automatically log into a website. For Chrome, you might want LastPass or Roboform plugin.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The thread is about download managers, not password managers. :)

5. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

If you download it from CNET it probably does have adware and the like. I always download it from the developer's site and never had any problems.

I don't know if you have dialup, but for that, FDM is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes it'll stall temporarily, which would cause the native downloader to fail, but FDM never disconnects. I don't know that it'll increase speed though. You can set FDM to download files in multiple sections, which creates the illusion of faster downloads, but I haven't found that it actually increases speed really.

I don't use IE regularly, but I've used FDM in IE and it works just fine. You can set it to monitor IE, or other browsers, and it'll install a plugin that makes FDM the default downloader. You can still use the native downlaoder though. Or if you don't want to monitor the browser, you can just drag a download link into FDM and it'll download it. This works 99% of the time, but I've run across some links that you can't do it with, you have to click them.

I've got FDM Lite 3.9.2 (build 1289) and it monitors IE 6.x - 9.x and Chrome, among others. New builds come pretty regularly so they might have a new one by now, I'm not sure.

6. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Thanks, WH. I must have had free password manager on my mind for some reason.:argh:

7. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Thanks guys for your reply. I am using it and the only downside is that its flash or streaming video downloader does not work. lol. Anyway for downloading online flash or videos I am using VSO downloader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.