Is Frederic still missing?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

As do I, but apparently real life things cant happen to programers. Instead its ok to just sit around and bash them for not updating in over a year.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I have not been in touch with Frederic in a long while, I've been very busy ... and the Look 'n' Stop product is working wonderfully under Windows 7 x64. ;)

3. Phant0m

Call me old fashioned, but I actually like a lot the current GUI. It is clean, swift and I-friendly. :p

4. Phant0m

I would normally agree with you, having security software installed that hasn't been maintained in awhile is risky. But Look 'n' Stop works great and the Windows TCP/IP stack hasn't changed that merits the need for a security update.

5. Phant0m

The DLL authentication mechanism is maintained by someone other-than Frederic, and at the time and for several months after the x64 release, there was no x64 support. But Fred kept checking, and nothing new was available.

6. Phant0m

If Look 'n' Stop wasn't saving ruleset changes it sounds like when shutting down or on re-starting Windows, Look 'n' Stop application was being terminated before it completed a normal application shutdown procedure (which saves changes). One could have manually initiated the save via 'Internet Filtering' – 'Save'

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Phant0m, but that was the first thing I tried. I tried it several times, but it did not work. I tried it over, and over again with no success. I rebooted several times with no success. Maybe if I would have uninstalled LnS, and reinstalled it would have fixed the problem. I do not know. I do know I have used LnS in the past with a different VPN with no problem. I believe some of LnS's files became corrupt somehow. I decided to use Online Armor on all my machines for now except for my laptop which I use Eset Smart Security. I was only using LnS on 2 XP Pro x32 machines. I may switch them back to LnS in the future.

8. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

So what's the verdict then? I dusted my copy of LookNStop and my copy of Phant0m's rule-set. Should I still use them? Are they at least as secure if not better than Windows firewall?

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

IMO LnS is a much better Firewall than Windows FW. If all you want to do is stealth all your ports then use Windows FW. If you want great packet filtering, and outbound protection then use LnS.

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I've been running it for several years now and find it to be as solid a pure firewall as you can get. It's rules based so there is little to worry about for updates. Then again I also run WSA Essentials which provides excellent keylogger protection and good web filtering and also has a very good behavior blocker.

11. blasev

blasev Registered Member

LnS and Phant0m ruleset are still the best solution for me :thumb:

12. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

It's actually fine that the product doesn't get updated -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it -- as the saying goes. But it'd be great if he could drop by every once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.