Is Defragmentation Software Recommended?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mrm3601, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry what does puran have more then mydefrag4 or ultimatedefrag?

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Well, I have no experience that I can remember with mydefrag4 nor ultimatedefrag. As I said, I made the switch to Puran Free from PerfectDisk payware, and I find Puran as effective, but just faster and free. I also like the context menu option to scan/defrag folder(s) "on the fly". I used JKdefrag for a short while though, but it was many years ago!
    Sorry to be of no better help.

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

@Linuxforall

Thanks for the mention of Puran Defrag, I'm gonna give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out.

I started with PD7 and it could never do a boot-time defrag and I just installed PD11 and it still can't.

Edit

All I can say is WOW!!! It took 20 minutes to do a boot-time, that goes to show you how bad it was. Ater that I done a regular defrag of drive that was much faster than anything I have used in the past. I have used JK Defrag (I think it's called), Ultimate Defrag, O & O, PD and a few others I don't remember the name of. This program is awesome.

@zfactor

You are absolutely right! I can't believe this program is free, but I'm glad it is. I know what I will use from now on and it's free. I'm so happy I found something that worked on the boot-time defrag.

Edit

I got some rest and fired up the system and it fly's. I didn't notice before cuz I was too tired. This system has never ever booted this fast. I have always hated restarting cuz I twiddle my thumbs and wait. I happen to look away as it was restarting and I was at the login screen. I'm truly amazed that a free program can do this when I was paying for programs that can't come close.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

as far as overall speed puran blows away ultimate defrag and also perfectdisk and yes im talking about version 11...its just no contest there. also puran seems to defrag literally any drive i have thrown at it even a test drive that was 250gb and only had 5gb free space. it just works. i also own perfectdisk and ultimate defrag and have tested almost every other one out there, i just always find myself going back to puran (to which i own a lic for before they offered it for free by the way)

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

To do a regular defrag with Puran is fast.
    If used their aditional features (like PIOZR algoritm) to optimize a few more time is needed.

I use MyDefrag to optimize; and Puran to do a boot defrag (I like to do a boot defrag, check disk with the excellent ScanDefrag also, Win XP).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.