Is CHX-Packet Filter FREE????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by my2cents, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my2cents

my2cents Registered Member

I would like to know if the CHX Packet Filter Firewall is free for home userso_O?

Please advise.

Because the following statement says this: "CHX™ products are free of charge for non-profit activities by home users, students and charitable organizations. To obtain a link to the full version and a serial number via e-mail please use the following form".

But at the bottom, it tells you to download a TRIAL version... Im confused.

But, looks good for a firewall. IF IT'S FREE..... THEN IM IN HEAVEN!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

It is free. :)

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

3. my2cents

Ok, then could you please explain why they have it as a TRIAL Downloado_O? (Why dows my Download file have it has TRIALo_O?

Please explain....

This firewall does infact do heavy duty SPI. So, why is it not popular firewallo_O

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. bbqking

bbqking Registered Member

5. my2cents

But the question is, is this free?? Becasue if its free then why do I need to register a license?

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

It is free, for home use. ;)

7. my2cents

I tried playing aroung with this and seems like a goode firewall.

But when I first tried this warning window keeps on popping up that I have 25 days till trial ends. I thought they said to me its free and I could use it on many PCs as I like through email, because I emailed them

Im confused. So its going to be free even If the trial version expireso_O

Very confusing.

I am still very confused.

First they tell me its free, but during installation a window keeps
    popping up
    reminding me the trial version is almost up. Now what do I have to do
    after the
    trial period is over? Do I have to pay a feeo_O

And also, I have another computer in Europe, will it also work on that
    machine,
    or is it limited to only ONE computer? Meaning ONE user licenseo_O?
    Could I
    install this on more than ONE computers, or is it limited to only
    ONEo_O?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  8. Stefan_R

Stefan_R Registered Member

Hello,

I apologize for the confusion the registration process might have triggered.
    The trial version will expire within 30 days from its original installation. If at any point in time - during your trial period - you wish to register for personal use - then you must do so by providing a valid email address in the registration form on the product's website. You will receive a link to the full version - and free - package.

You can install this full package on as many systems as you may seem fit, as long as it is for non-profit use.

Best Regards,

Stefan.

9. my2cents

I just registered...But this is what I do not understand. Whats the point of registration and receiving a registration key when its FREEo_O? Thats what I dont seem to get at.

And just to confirm here..... Will I be able to install this on more than one PCo_O? Or, is it limited to only one PC? (Meaning after registration)

And also, (after registration) is there any registration expiration or is this a lifetime thing?

And lastly.....does this also work on Dial-Up modem interfaceso_O?? Please advise.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. Stefan_R

There isn't really any point in getting the key, or going through the whole registration trouble(unless you decide to use the software - in which case you'll have to go through that minor incovenience). However - if there were going to be any serious issues with our software we would like to be able to inform our "free" user base via email of any such occurrences. As simple as that. It may seem as an awkward system but it lets us keep our free user base informed.

There are no limitations or expiry dates on the full packages you've obtained. You can install this full packages on as many systems as you wish.
    The only limitation with dial-up interfaces is that you can only set the "stateful" properties after the dial-up is initialized (you will only see the dial up interface if it is "up").

Best Regards,

Stefan.

11. my2cents

So your saying , it will only detect the dial-up modem AFTER it dials the ISP connectiono_O? or right after when PC boots up?

So your saying that after I make or enable the SPI in the Interface Properties of the dial-up modem, It will not save it after I logoff the Interneto_O? And then, when my dial-up modem dials-in again nextime I go online, will I have to go back to the Interface Properties again to re-enable the SPI settings??

Please confirm.

12. Stefan_R

No. The settings will be saved once configured. The modem will be detected when it establishes the ppp connection tro your ISP.

Best Regards,

Stefan

13. my2cents

If Zone Alarm does Stateful Packet Inspection like CHX-1 does, then I'll go with ZA for a stand-alone machine.

As you were saying about CHX-1, is best to use on servers. What do you think? Should I stick to ZA or use this oneo_O ZA does full stealthing on GRC.com. no doubt about it and Im sure CHX will do the same.

Although however, using a "lesser known" firewall application is good because it can't be bypassed by hackers or trojans.

14. Phant0m

15. Phant0m

I won’t debate the fact ZoneAlarm having SPI, I like to see official articles or official something stating ZoneAlarm is stateful. But if ZoneAlarm is stateful, It would be more stateful-like and not true stateful like CHX-I…

16. my2cents

Great link.

But I would like to add something here. Even though all the ports are stealthed, thats fine....but, your IP address need to be stealthed too in some way. Thats the main concern. Ports AND IP address needs to be stealthed in order to have a good functioning firewall. And plus I have the following ports and services disabled manually for extra security: Please look and evaluate:

Ok I have the follwoing Services DISABLED:

Like NetBIOS/NETBois Helper (NETBIOS IS COMPLETELY DISABLED)

File and Sharing id Disabled

Ports 139, 445, and those ars disabled

DCOM is Disabled

Local Security Policy is set to= (LSA in registry set to= (2)

netmeeting is Disabled... Telnet is also Disabled

I could go on and on.

Well, anyway.... I am thinking about switching to Linux anyway with an IPTables script that were given to me a while back. And thats Im sure does SPI. Because it examines every connection (ESTABLISHED, NEW, RELATED,) whether to drop it or accept it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  17. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Stick with ZA if it works well for you. No point in making things any more complicated than they need to be.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.