Is Chromeplus safe???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Serapis, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Hi everyone, and to the chrome browser users. As you guys know, google chrome is based on chromium opensource. As of lately many shell or clones have sprung up; SRWare Iron and recently chromeplus. http://www.chromeplus.org/default.html

Chromeplus seems to have a few extra features, they claim that their software is malware free although they havent agreed to release the sourcecode. When asked to validate their claims, they replied that it was tested to be clean at softpedia. Otherwise I can't find any mention of them at download.com . So please, if anyone is experienced with malware, take a look and check for any malware in this program. If any members have tried it share your experiences if you noticed anything sketchy.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I've been running it since the weekend.
    It seems to be clean-the program and installer passed my scanner with no detections found.

The developers respond to email questions fairly fast.
    The only real downside that I have seen thus far is stability. The browser has crashed quite a few times. It's a work in progress imo.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

ChromePlus1.3.2.0.exe received on 2009.12.01 02:01:17 - Result: 0/41 (0%)

4. the Tester

So it was you that beat me to VirusTotal?
    I saw the results a few minutes ago.

5. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I think it was pointed out in another thread that the domain is registered under a New York address even though the site and the developers themselves are obviously Chinese. So it seems likely they just gave fake info for the domain name. It probably doesn't even mean anything but that was just one thing brought up.

As for the program itself, who knows.

6. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

You see that is what kinda worries me, because I had already installed it on my new PC before I checked out how reliable or valid the source was. On their site they keep referring to "maple studios" I tried googling that and didnt find a trace to any affiliated sites with that name. The program itself lacks a end user agreement during install whiich is kinda strange. Why would they take an open source project and turn it into closed source?? - unless they were to profit from it... but then how come they provide it for free and that its the only product they provide? where do they get funding from?

I am a little worried about it being malicious because if it is, then Im pretty much screwed :gack: Evading signature detection is kinda easy nowadays, It would be reassuring if someone who knows coding could analyze its output sandboxed or reverse thru it for that matter.

7. the Tester

Chrome Plus is probably safe and it has some cool features, but.... I have found that Chrome runs lighter and there is a privacy tool "Unchrome" available.

No crashes with Chrome either.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.