Is BOClean just a waste of resources?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

It updates signatures daily, however, I have active: NOD32, AVG Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender and Comodo Firewall. I have an active license and scan weekly with Spy Sweeper and update and scan with Spyware Doctor with my work license. I browse 99% of the time sandboxed and never find any malware anyway. If you all believe that BOClean is a useful tool I'll keep it active, if not I'll uninstall it. Thank You!

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMO, yes, BOClean is a waste of resources. I'd also dump Windows Defender and Spy Sweeper.

3. dNor

dNor Registered Member

That set up is a major waste of resources. Drop a good chunk of it, especially if you're sandboxing, and especially if you're sandboxing and not browsing anything likely to cause a problem.

Windows Defender should be the first to go.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Boclean is a resource shark . I used to run it along with AVG AS and ThreatFire, a good combination from the perspective of layered security, but they prolong system's boot time to the point I can not bear. I have since said bye-bye to them. If you have a deeper resource pocket and not minding its dragging your feet, you may want to consider keeping it for now; an excellent app and free too. Take care.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

With what you listed for your setup I would drop BOClean.
    Windows Defender could go too.

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I tried BoClean for a short period and the only problem/complaint I had was it wanted to update from an ftp site and I had those ports closed out in my hardware firewall. In order to update I had to reset my firewall protection level and as you might guess that got old real quick. Also, don't discard Windows Defender so quickly for it does more than just scan for malware realtime. It also guards against startup entries at least in Vista.

Later.

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the feedback! A few months ago PC World had a feature on Anti-Spywares with a two page chart listing their test results by category. WD plus AVG A-S in combination were almost as successful as SD or SS alone. That is why I shut down SS, which at that time, wasn't nearly the memory user it is now. SD has always been a RAM hog and still is. The thing I like about WD is it automatically creates restore points before installations and I've grown use to just using it's tools menu to manage startup apps. Looks like BOC is getting dumped though!

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree!

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Doesn,t windows do it itself?
    U can try autoruns.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I would also like to drop boclean(already have on my vista machine), but I still find it catches things other programs don't, which makes me reluctant.

11. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I had boclean and was not sure if I wanted to ditch it or not. Till it one day it caught a virus but did not disinfect it right.After reboot I ran cureit and it found the virus again.End of boclean

12. Seeja

Seeja Registered Member

BOClean slows down the system. Better to search for another good prog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.