Is AntiVir/PE developing a new updater

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: I think some of us know that the servers utilized to obtain an maintain AntiVir/PE's English version have been anything but desirable. This whole situation could be resolved if H+BEDV would get off it's collective ass an bring out sequential processing. Remember this was supposed to be out the first quarter of this year "if everything went as planed". Don't hold your breath! Now they indicate "autumn". If sequential processing is not out then, we should raise more hell than they have ever seen. We should post on every BB we can think of, an we should be loud an do it as often as possible.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :mad:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I gave up on AntiVir just because of stupid update mechanism.
    Detection rate is good and daily updates too,but no auto-updater(interval check),slow servers(long response time and slow DL speed) and big updates (non incrimental)? Thats something that even my DSL connection cannot accept.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

wildman,

We only have to wait...
    This is a free program and we couldn't be always asking for this...

Moreover, you have others solutions to use until this features isn't in AntiVir... ;)

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Totally agree. It reminds me of my friend Ralph. The remote for his TV broke, so he just sat there day after day, watching CNN all the time, & grumbling a blue streak. Too bloody lazy to get up & change the channel. :p

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D :D :D

6. wildman

:rolleyes: When the channel serves up crap, we have the right to complain to the FCC, an if that doesn't get the job done we can complain to the advertisers to pull their commercials, and if that doesn't work we can try an get the network canceled. Ya getting my drift? Some people will except crap if it's FREE, but junk by any other name is still JUNK! AntiVir/PE's servers are JUNK! Sequential processing would take care of a lot of current frustration, other than that we have the right to complain, an I urge all who can to exercise that right an to do so often an loud. So it's FREE, BIG F'EN DEAL! I am getting tired of hearing this warn out feebly excuse, come up with something else!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :mad:

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast Home is free and with their incremental updates, they manage to do the job quite well, puts less load on their servers too.

8. bellgamin

Perhaps you will explain this "sequential processing" -- or do you mean "incremental updates?"o_O

9. wildman

:rolleyes: Sequential, incremental, as long as it's functional, small in size, quick to down load an easy to obtain, I could care less as to witch. The frustration of obtaining updates needs to come to an end!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  10. bellgamin

It will be done... in the fulness of time. :p

H+BEDV's Stefan Kurtzhals sounds equally as frustrated as you (& I gather that he is one of the programers working on the incremental updater code).

Notice that AVG went to incremental updates in conjunction with issuing a TOTALLY new version (7.0). Evidently, H+BEDV is seeking to modify their 6.XX version instead of doing this as part of a total revision. THAT scenario is generally more difficult for programers because they have to work with old code developed by others (probably long gone) who were working under a situation where, in those days, updates were relatively small & would remain so for the foreseeable future.

A good corrollary to this is Microsoft's ancient assumption that 64K of memory was all that anyone would ever need. Hence, all the Windows 9X operating systems which were built around MSDOS had to use work-arounds (high memory, low memory, & other such makeshift stuff) to accomodate higher RAM. Thus, Win 9x operating systems have a well-deserved reputation as being miserably poor at memory management

Bear in mind -- while H+BEDV *might* be unsympathetic to the grumbles of the users of its free version, they now have at least 3 NON-free versions which suffer from similar update limitations. Thus, I feel sure they are at least as eager as you for getting a fix -- & probably moreso. Notice Stefan Kurtzhal's post in this thread & other related threads -- I get the distinct feeling that those working on the incremental coding are *under the whip* & distinctly dissatisfied with their present lot in life.

Until the incremental updates come on-line, try updating when it's VERY early in the AM, Germany time.

By the way, are you on dial-up or broadband? If you are on dial-up, you have my sympathy. AVPE's sig updates are nearly 3MB now, PLUS they have total updates to the program (5MB+) rather frequently.

Another option is to use Avast or AVG as your main AV for a while, & use AVPE for on-demand & back-up ONLY. Thus you could update AVPE weekly instead of daily. If you update AVPE on Sunday (in the wee hours of German time) you should have good server access -- they rarely issue any updates on Sunday.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Stefan is a member over here, dropping by frequently. He's welcome to comment ;)

regards,

paul

12. wildman

:rolleyes: I am on dial up with an older machine an limited to 160MB memory! I have also stated before that I live on a very limited income an must utilize freeware where ever possible. I would not be so upset if this were a relatively new situation, however it is not, an has been an on going thing for an extended period of time now. I an a few others think that H+BEDV has had more than ample time to have solved this. I don't know how programmers work today, but when I was associated with them this would not have been tolerated.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :p :D :eek: :rolleyes:

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dunno...all I can say is that no company would dare to not address an issue once its been publicly revealed, or else it'd be a huge loss for them.

I guess they assume that most users are on DSL anyway so an incremental update is not required.

regards,
    Firecat

14. bellgamin

As I remember, the last data I saw reported that ~76% of those in USA are on broadband. Sounds rather high to me.

15. wildman

:eek: There are some rural locations in my area where DSL nor broadband is available. In my case both are currently cost prohibitive. I am told however that I have one of the best dial up services in the county, but none the less it is dial up. I once had only 32MB of memory on this machine, I just recently added a 128MB memory expansion board. I flat loved AVG 6.0 (down loads were small an quick by the way). AVG 7.0 however has proved itself to be some what of a memory hog. AVAST is also considered in some circles to be a memory hog as well. I think you can see my dilemma, and perhaps why my frustration with AntiVir/PE's update capabilities, or I should say lack of. I am some times tempted to say the hell with a virus protection program, but I know better after two computer crashes.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :(

16. wildman

o_O The sound of silence is deafening.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :(

17. bellgamin

The above comment refers to the fact that Stefan Kurtzhals has not seen fit to comment further on your posts. He commented 2 times, earlier in this thread. He gave courteous replies to your comments. Perhaps he feels your comments are becoming repititious. Also, please recall that Stefan is a moderator over on the dedicated Antivir forum. If you want to get his attention sooner, you might try posting over there.

In the meantime, while I understand your low opinion of the new version of AVG-free, why not give Avast a trial? It is free, & has all the capabilities that I think you are seeking. Just be sure & use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation of Avast. That way you'll have no problem uninstalling Avast if it isn't to your liking.

If you don't already have the free version of Total Uninstall, & can't find a download anywhere, let me know by PM & I will lend a hand.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No need to monitor avast! installation. It has it's own uninstaller and if this one fails you can still use special Uninstall Utility to remove it manually in just few clicks. You can use this Utility to clean any possibly remaining reg entries (not like avast! would left thousands of them). I have tested it thoroughly and i can be sure about that :)

19. wildman

:rolleyes: See my post #40. I will not besmirch anyone, but the lack of response indicates to me that he has no response to the points I have tried to make. I realize that the problems at H+BEDV are not entirely his fault, however the point still remains that H+BEDV has had more than ample time to have resolved this situation, an it's now time for them to get off their collective asses an do something about this, an do so in a expeditious manner.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :(

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  20. Firecat

Maybe Stefan just thinks that he'll reply once the situation has been taken care of. B'coz just replying saying that the company hasn't fixed the problem will not change anything, y'know. It might just aggravate things further.

On the other hand, replying once you got an official statement or fix would at least mean a lower amount of backlash from the affected customers. Or even some amount of satisfaction.

At least that is the way I figure it in my young brain.

Regards,
    Firecat

21. wildman

:doubt: Ah, but my young friend will he commit himself to a time frame, or will he leave a back door in which to Wiesel out of again. "If all goes as planed", etc.?

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O

22. Wildman,

Have you considered that when they implement the incremental updates. That they'll also add features that would make it run unacceptable slow on your computers?

23. wildman

:rolleyes: If they follow true to past performance in regards to their FREE version, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I think they may be getting the message from the complaints about AVG and AVAST in this regard. I would hope they don't want to follow in that path, because if that were the case people would have a tendency to use AVG or AVAST rather than H+BEDV products, this could very well apply to the commercial products an just not the FREE version.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :p :D :eek:

24. bellgamin

@ Wildman -- I just remembered about a truly SUPERB free antivirus program. It is EZ AntiVirus. EZ is ordinarily a NON-free program, but they have a special promotion going on now, whereby you can get a 1-year trial license.

EZ uses the excellent VET engine, which consistently rates high at VB & other test sites. Best of all, it is VERY light on system resources. It should run just fine on your computer -- even lighter than AntiVir. And, YES, it has automatic updates, & the updates are incremental, & they have multiple servers -- the same servers that handle paid customers of EZ.

I heartily recommend you give EZ a try. By courtesy of bigc & gerardwill, here's the LINK to the free offer.

aloha to you...... bellgamin

25. Firecat

There is also an eTrust Lifetime Promo offer....You can get etrust for youe entire lifetime.

But seriously AntiVir seems better than eTrust to me, detection-wise. I dont recommend you to take eTrust, but then thats your choice.

Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.