Is a BIOS boot up password a good idea?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Devinco, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi All,

Up to now, I've only used a password to get into the BIOS setup, so others wouldn't change BIOS settings without my knowledge.
    But reading how the Windows password can be bypassed using Linux boot disks and such, would it make sense to use the BIOS password on each boot?
    It could only then be bypassed by popping the CMOS battery and perhaps setting a motherboard jumper. That would then reset the password.
    But with a lockable case, that would be harder.
    On the surface, it seems like the BIOS bootup password would be more secure since no other software can run before it.

What do you think?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Devinco,

A bios password is just another lock to keep less than criminal people out.
    If someone wants your data, they can get it.

What do you think? :)

3. Devinco

Hi ronjor,

You are right, of course.
    A burglar would simply steal the whole computer. Then later with time, break the case lock and remove the HD or reset the BIOS password.
    I guess it would be marginally useful in a competitive workplace environment (with backstabbing employees).
    If you are the only user of the computer, then it is unecessary.

Thanks!

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

At one time, several systems back, I used a BIOS password (only for BIOS setup, not for booting). But anytime I had to take it into the shop for service, I'd forget to tell them about that, which of course resulted in otherwise unnecessary additional phone calls back and forth. So I eventually just said the heck with it.

5. Devinco

Hi Mike,

I would still keep the BIOS setup password if you have little ones using the computer or if they have access to it so it won't be messed up by accident.

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Good point, Devinco, thanks. But my youngest is now mid-20's and has her own computer at her place, the only time she touches mine is if she wants to check her Yahoo mail while I'm out walking the dog.

And it's probably a safe bet that she doesn't even know the BIOS setup exists (I'm set up for "silent" POST), let alone how to get at it or use it.

7. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco!

Your question is a good one. I think it all depends on the environment you are using the PC in and what "level" security you need. The security level is the most important thing you have to think about before you do anything. Simply, what do I need to protect, from who, and why? Once you know those answers, a security level can be determined. For me, I use the highest security level for Windows XP. That includes a BIOS password on startup - not just setup. In case someone is wondering what I mean by "highest security level for Windows," the answer is that the absolute highest security level for a PC includes running Linux.

Bottom line: It all depends on what "security" means to you and what level "security" you need. If you would like more info on the levels of PC security - write me.

John

8. bizfanatic

bizfanatic Registered Member

Personally, I think the bios password is quite easy to hack. So, having it there or not does not make that much of a difference... to a pro hacker

Guess its ok if you got really young kids around... but don ever forget the password though. Used to have a friend who forgot. Took us just a while before we managed to hack her pc.. ha...

9. Devinco

Hi bizfanatic,

Could you please send me a PM about the technique used?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.