Invisible process?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Paragon, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paragon

Paragon Guest

A recent scan with TDS-3 showed c:\tmp0001.$$$ as a possible password stealer (Generic detection). I didn't recognize this file, so I tried to delete it (appears to be temporary anyway). I couldn't delete it though. So I tried to terminate it first using TDS, but it couldn't be terminated. So I figured I'd check it out with another process explorer (TaskInfo2002). It didn't show up as a running process. I clicked the tab to view all open files, and it showed up there, so I tried to figure out which process was using it. None of them showed up as using that file though.
    I went back to TDS and extracted strings from the file, (which could only be done through TDS [Bintext wouldn't work]). It took a while as the file was 2Mb. Anyway, the only readable text was in reference to Diamondcs and TDS-2, which is a version I never had. I've only used TDS-3. Odd.
    I rebooted the computer and tried to delete it again, but it still said it was in use by windows. Same as before. I checked various autostart methods, but couldn't figure out how it was starting up. So, I set my autoexec.bat file to delete it and rebooted. It's now gone, and everything seems to be exactly the same. But my problem is, I don't know what the file was, I don't know where it came from, or how it got there, and I don't know if it was somehow running invisibly, or if some other process was using it. If so, I couldn't seem to figure out which one.

2. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Paragon,

Why not zip it and send to TDS? They will check the file and respond to you about it.

3. Paragon

Paragon Guest

Yeah, I thought of that, and a few more things I could have done, but only after I had already deleted the file. :doubt:

4. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Paragon,

Yeah I know that one. I did it once so now I try to do things in steps... panic :D, run around screaming :D then remember that I have TDS :D

Oh and thanks for that link in my post.

Loki :cool:

5. Paragon

Paragon Guest

No problem. :) Hope you find it helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.