Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is definitely possible: The ondemand scanning (via right click or by "Scan Now") can't find threats as well as the behavior monitoring which applies a whole class of special heuristics on files which are being loaded.

That is why Edge is somewhat difficult to test - it looks at the behavior of a program and temporarily sandboxes its data while being analyzed to gather signatures, so, the best way to test Edge is to fire up a virtual machine and actually run the nasty buggars to see if they are blocked :D

2. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

I installed Prevx Edge and I have two issues

1st - It detected some files considered malware but at least two of them are FP. Using the context menu in each line I send the information it is not malware but unfortunately I can't select all the lines I want, only one at a time and after the first selection it begins immediatlly a new scan without notice.

2nd - In the first reboot after the install, Prevx loads and the icon appears in tray but after a few seconds it enters in the state of disabled.

I tried to enabled it but I have to reboot again, what I did but then it disables again.

Anything I made wrong here?

3. baerzake

baerzake Registered Member

this is a very very good news

4. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Regarding the false positives: Please save a scan log and send it to me (Tools and Settings > Save Scan Results) and I'll fix the false positives for you as soon as possible.

Regarding the disabled state - that could mean that Edge is having a problem communicating with the driver. Do you have any other antivirus product installed (and, what operating system are you using)? It may be easier for one of our engineers to work with you off-list to solve the problem if you want.

Thank you for your report. We definitely would like to investigate both of these issues further and fix them so that Edge will work properly on your system!

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

disable enable self protection under basic configuration if you have it checked then reboot. I cant get PH to beleive me on this one. Had same issue with no other protection and mine disabled itself on each reboot. This fixed it.

6. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

I have NIS 2009 and my system is Windows XP SP3

Meanwhile I PM you the log.

You talk about the driver. Where is installed the driver?

In the Program Files folder I only have Prevx.exe is this correct? Since I was thinking of a possible faulty installation.

7. PrevxHelp

I'll do some retesting on this. I haven't seen this happen, but if it does work for you, then it's definitely worth a try.

8. PrevxHelp

I have corrected the false positives for you - thanks for that report! The driver is installed to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\pxark.sys

Can you run a command - click Start > Run > type cmd.exe
    Then in the following DOS command prompt, type:
    sc query pxark

can you PM me or message what it says. After that, can you run the command:
    sc start pxark

and send me that output as well?

Thanks again :D

9. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

Right I did that and no more disabled state.

I have some problem at my system when I execute the

sc query pxark

I receive an error

DOS/32A environment variable is not setup properly. You need to reinstall DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender on this computer

10. PrevxHelp

Aha! In that case, disregard the latter messages :D

Had you enabled self protection manually before after installing? trjam definitely hit the nail on the head with this one :thumb:

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

The warning came during the initial scan. I've since corrected it.
    If I find the logs I'll send them.
    By the way, Edge would be more user friendly if my 'back' arrow on my mouse worked with your program.
    Hugger

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Gotta keep Trjam happy or he will change his avatar again. :D

Thanks for coming up with the licence swap from V2 to V3. After using Edge I just can't go back to V2 as much as I liked it.

13. PrevxHelp

No problem :) As a side note, you CAN use both together if you really do want to use the unique features of v2 :)

14. PrevxHelp

Ah ok - in that case it would be more difficult to trust the file. You would have to either right click on the file or use the Detection Overrides feature in Tools and Settings.

I've made a note to integrate the screens with quick buttons on the mouse :) Thank you for your suggestion!

15. Threedog

Hmmmmm one quick thing I noticed. On a reboot there are two icons in the tray for a few secs then one disappears. That never happened with any of the betas.

16. PrevxHelp

Yes, I've seen that, as well as some other users. This will be one of the first issues we address in the first update (due out sometime late next week).

If you move your mouse over the icons, one will disappear immediately. It is due to a caveat in Windows' tray icon management - when a program closes, icons are not automatically removed and to ensure that we work properly with fast user switching, we have to close the user instance of Edge quickly, possibly too fast for it to realize we're requesting it to remove the icon.

This will be fixed shortly, however :)

17. Threedog

Ahhhh thanks PH. I just did a clean install on a clean image and with hardly sleeping the past couple days thought I might have screwed something up.

18. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

You're rolling PrevxHelp! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I like when vendors are up to the minute. What a comeback!!

19. PrevxHelp

Thanks :D We definitely want to make Edge as big of a success as we can as we've all worked countless hours to build it up to where it is now :)

20. Threedog

I have the feeling that Edge will be super successfull once more word gets out about it.

21. PrevxHelp

I hope so :) We are still keeping it "relatively" quiet (no press release yet) as we're waiting to finish the licensing changes, but as soon as we're satisfied, we're going to spread it far and wide :)

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks for the update Franklin. It's good to know Prevx Edge picked up a couple more of those installers once they were being executed.

A simple 'AV' test would have said prevx missed the rest, but that was not the case. :)

Enjoying this program. :thumb:

23. Cretemonster

Cretemonster Registered Member

AV Test...now there is a good joke.

Eventually there will be a specific spot where John Q Public will be able to go and report a suspected false positive but one step at a time. ;)

Considerations to a similar location to upload suspect files and other various PrevX related questions,Im sure Help will inform all when said spot is prepared. :)

Cheers,

NotPrevxHelp

24. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running Edge on my XP Pro SP3 machine along with AntiVir Premium and ZAP 8. I can confirm both the disabled state upon initial reboot as well as the fix by not enabling self protection.

25. PrevxHelp

Ok, I got curious and created a new system image to test clean and hopefully unbiased.

I was able to reproduce the issue as well - there is definitely an incompatibility in self protection and Edge at the fundamental level. We will get this sorted this weekend, but the bugfix may have to be held off until early next week just to stay in line with our license changes.

Thank you everyone for reporting the issue and trjam for connecting the dots :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.