Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay. Actually the way V2 is working for me makes SD redundant.

2. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Glad to hear v2 is working out for you Pete, but your statement is also valid the other way around, and since I have a paid (lifetime) license for SD.... ;)

Cheers,
    Cruise

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not really valid when you can't restore to any point in time with SD. Personally, I haven't had AXTM fail in quite a while now, just wait it out if it appears stuck and the HDD indicator LED is flashing.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

More than valid when I can't rely on AX64 to restore any snapshot. But let's not get into a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ contest between the two. How about we each use what works best for us and leave it at that... ;)

Cruise

5. wajamus

wajamus Registered Member

Dear all,

After much delay, we have the next public beta to share with you guys! We sincerely thank you all for your patience and continued support. We understand the rate at which updates have been pushed out has been slow. But we are always working on AX64 and we work hard to take the time with major issues. Some of them were mammoth in proportion. I want to emphasise that we're still around and can't wait to get the ball rolling with the official release of v2.0!

Look forward to all your feedback. Always remember that this is a beta and so anyone who volunteers to test and use it, does so at their own risk. It is highly recommended to backup your systems with your chosen backup solution.

You can download build 365 here:

http://ax64.com/v2.0_beta/SetupTM_2_0_0_365.exe

It contains the following fixes, features and optimisations since build 315:

· Bug: Window sometimes does not load and the default WinPE loads

· Weird backup (413 years old)

· Bug: Don't show select drives dialog when trial expired (after re-install of APP)

· Feature: Add "Full Image Recovery" option. Restores from baseline.

· BUG: • Rescue media close button icon not working

· BUG: Canceling WinPE restore while in PE fails

· Bug: Crash on win 8 pro. When app runs twice

· Add error checking to Deffered Cmd loading

· Implement new UI for multi-volume backup

· Updated side banner

· Bug: When click Cancel on Restore dialog, rescue PE will restart

· Disable the remote control option

· Grey out the Rescue Media option on Vista computers

· Vista computers should can only use Hot Restore

· Make beta to expire within 3-4 weeks after compilation.

· System tray icon does not update during a backup. It should

· Bug: Browser / Edit menu is a sub window of the main window

· Suggestion: Order the snapshot drives in alphabetical order in the backup browser

· BUG: About icon disappears when its clicked

· Feature: change close method

· Major tweaks, bug fixes and optimizations for: backup logic, volume management and merging

· BUG: Drag and drop no longer works from the browser

· Bug: Finds that if he does a warm/hot restore the boot menu that was installed with the startup manager disappears. But cold restore the AX64 boot option still stays.

· When not on 'auto-backup' AX64 closes the whole app.

Best wishes,

Wajamus and the AX64 Team

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. dagrev

dagrev Registered Member

It's alive!!

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nice i will test again. just curious does this build give perfectdisk users the option to install without having to remove perfectdisk then reinstall? otherwise im excited to try the new build.

edit i missed the last thing on the list. awesome so it will close when not in auto!!! very very cool of you to add that for us that asked.

great to know you guys are alive and working on this for us. thank you.

8. wajamus

The team has agreed to allow perfect disk and a few other apps to be installed with AX64 but with a warning to the users. If this is not implemented in this build, shall be so in the next build (which shouldn't be as long as we did a lot of the big work in this one).

Goodnight!

9. tjaTech

tjaTech Registered Member

when I instal this latest beta I cannot run it --it says: "Trial version, 0 days left Register now..."
    --is there a temporary reg code?

10. wajamus

If this is happening, we may need to push out another build. We may have neglected to reset the beta expiration for this. We'll get onto this asap. Thanks for the note.

11. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

12. tjaTech

update --seems to be working anyway in spite of messages saying trial is expired.... odd; it seemed stuck at first but now seems okay....looking forward to trying this out --thanks Wajamus and team and Kent

13. wajamus

Hi tjaTech,

That's interesting - i'm glad it is working for you but this in of itself is a bug (if it's fully operational when the trial runs out). In essence, if trial has expired, the app will run automatic backups as per usual but the rest of the UI will be disabled. If you can do everything still, we need to investigate why users can still access the UI and perform all operations when they should actually be disabled.

Can you do manual backups? Can you access other parts of the UI?

Thanks for your feedback tjaTech!

Regards,

Waj

14. tjaTech

sorry Waj, I did not do enough exploring to discover the limits... I uninstalled the old beta, then installed the new --possibly before I restarted the machine. When the machine restarted and the new beta came up it said the trial was expired... I tried to click on some things in the GUI, tabs, etc and nothing happened. I checked the Windows notification area icon and was able to set a destination so an automatic backup started. I may have tried to click in the wrong space on the GUI ?? Other than the tabs, its not entirely clear where to click... When the backup was done I still could not click things --so I used the code Kent referenced that you had linked earlier in the forum. All seems well now. What I observed is not very conclusive --meaning perhaps I did something odd...

15. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Boy waj, you guys sure did a lot of work, no wonder it took so long. Good to see the new beta has been released.

16. puff-m-d

Hello tjaTech,

I installed the new beta over the top followed by a reboot (was prompted to do so) which worked perfectly here, so I can not address directly your issue about uninstalling first. I also am using the beta key so can not comment on the trial issue since the beta key transferred successfully doing the over the top install. When you did the uninstall, if my aging memory serves me, you are prompted to do a reboot to finish the uninstall. I am fairly sure you must do this to fully remove the two system drivers. In any case, if you did not do a reboot after uninstalling before you installed the new version, this could very well be the cause of your issue. I am sure Waj will be able to provide a more definitive answer.

17. puff-m-d

Hello Waj,

First of all, congratulations on the new beta version. I installed over the top, rebooted, and all seems to be working great so far. Impressive list of changes and we all can see why this release took some time. I still see one bug that I had reported in the previous beta:
    With the new beta, I still have this issue of the tray icon updating during a backup or merge (including the tool tip when hovering the mouse pointer over the tray icon). Whenever I have TM automatic backups on and the machine is booted or rebooted, the tray icon and tool tip never changes. It remains at the default icon and tool tip "Time Machine Beta". However, if I exit TM and restart, or have it turned off and exited when I reboot so it does not start automatically so I must start it manually, it works as expected. Basically it seems on my machine (Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit), if TM starts automatically the tray icon is broken as described but when TM is started manually, it works as expected.
    HTH...

Edited to add: Also submitted ticket for your tracking of issues/bugs...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  18. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

YAY! My favorite backup & recovery software is still alive and kicking

I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit worried about AX64 for awhile there, but now I can see why....

You guys have done a huge amount of work.

Thanks Wajamus for the info :thumb:

19. Peter2150

I hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. If the "Full Image Recovery" only recovers from the baseline, then we still don't have an Image Recovery Program. It has to be able to do a full image restore from anywhere in the chain, and especially at the end of the chain(Most recent) Every other imaging program does this and TM has to be able to do this to be considered an imaging program. Please tell me i've read this wrong.

Pete

20. ralws277

ralws277 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if the issue with installing the program under a non-administrator account has been fixed? I had a note about that, from when the issue was raised in June of last year, but cannot find the specific post now.

The issue, as the user reported, was:
    "The AX64 program doesn't like to be installed on non-Admin accounts very well. You have to right click and say run as Admin for it to install correctly. Then you have to manually copy and paste the "AX64 Time Machine" folder from the Admin start menu to All Users so your non-Admin account can see the "AX64 Time Machine" folder to be able to use the program. Yes a desktop icon is created but only on the admin account as well."

I also have noted that Isso relied that this issue would be addressed "in a future release", but can't find anything further related to this.

Anybody know if this is still an issue??

(Although I purchased Ax64 last year, I've delayed in installing it because for some particularly unique reasons I was temporarily unable to do a full partition or disk image backup [with a program like Macrium, etc.] for safety's sake prior to installing Ax64 [or the new "Time Machine"]. I've been unwilling to possibly risk any system-wide instability that a problem with installation or operation of Ax64 might cause. At this point I am able to do the desired disk image operation, and therefore will be installing and testing Time Machine soon...)

21. ralws277

ralws277 Registered Member

This is a bit off-topic, and is also particularly poor timing, since the recent good news here from wajamus, but if anyone is planning on jumping ship from the Time Machine vessel, lifetime licenses to Shadow Defender are available until midnight West Coast U.S. time today for free at SharewareOnSale.com. That's a pretty awesome site, by the way, with software given away daily. Usually the software is free if you get it on the first day of the offer, then often available at a lesser discount for several days after the initial day of the offer...

I was disappointed that SD and Ax64/Time Machine don't play well together, but with the great work of the developers here, it's seeming more and more that SD can be dropped with little regret. Yayyy!!

22. Peter2150

It is off topic so lets not discuss further

23. wajamus

Hi Peter,

Sorry for any confusion. It would
    operate like a full cold restore as AX64 did with the rescue media in V1. You can restore to any point in the chain.

Best regards,

Waj

24. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well, I tested .365 on XP and all still seems OK. My mouse still works with the rescue media.

Also, when I boot from the rescue media the EXIT icon now works.

I did a backup with 315 and it took 19 minutes. However, after installing .365 it took 32 minutes. Not sure why.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Download link is dead for me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.