Into the unknown: how to detect BIOS-level attackers (slides), and Copernicus (free program)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MrBrian, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From https://www.virusbtn.com/conference/vb2014/abstracts/LM6-Kovah-etal.xml:
    From http://www.mitre.org/capabilities/c...og/copernicus-question-your-assumptions-about:

2. MrBrian

3. MrBrian

Slides "PC Firmware Attacks, Copernicus, and You" - hxxp://conference.auscert.org.au/gfx/speakers/presentation-slides/1425_xeno_kovah.pdf .

4. MrBrian

5. MrBrian

I tried Copernicus v1 Aug 7 2014. The BIOS dump worked fine. I have no reference BIOS to compare it with though. I always got error "No valid CSV files found" when I ran Protections.py.

Some might find Copernicus tutorial hxxp://alexandreborgesbrazil.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/malware_attack_bios.pdf useful.

6. MrBrian

By the way, Python doesn't need to be installed to do the dump.

7. MrBrian

If anyone's wondering why I used Copernicus v1 instead of Copernicus v2, it's because my computer doesn't have a TPM chip, which Copernicus v2 requires if I am not mistaken. It's probably better to use Copernicus v2 than Copernicus v1 because Copernicus v1 can be induced to output lies, as a paper in the link in post #2 mentions.

If anyone's interested in using this thread as a public repository of BIOS hash values, please list your computer model, BIOS version, and BIOS hash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.