Internet Protocol Version 6

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AplusWebMaster, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

o_O Since MS has made an IPv6 ICF available for XP (see: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=e88cc382-8ce6-4739-97c0-1a52a6f005e4), I wonder about the IPv6 capability of other firewalls...

- MS describes the WXP ICF as "...An IPv6 firewall...to protect the end-user's machine from unsolicited IPv6 traffic..." (what a revelation - at least, they have defined the purpose of a firewall correctly).
    - Although the need for this is not immediately evident, there -are- capabilities for IPv6 inherent in the Windows Server 2003, it -is- coming. "...IPv6 is designed to solve many of the problems of the current version of IP (known as IPv4) with regard to address depletion, security, autoconfiguration, extensibility, and more..." (see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/ipv6/default.mspx).

- So, I have a few unanswered questions:
    1. Besides the WXP firewall mentioned above, are there any personal firewalls available that support IPv6 that I can get installed now, so I won't be in "panic/scramble" mode once this becomes a necessity?
    2. Is there a "drop-dead" date for the current IP in use around the Web (IPv4) or will both be in use for quite sometime?

Any answers? Fire away...and Best regards,

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

One thing to keep in mind when looing at and/or working with IP V6:
    not all broadband routers will work what the new IP V6 release.

If you are using a broadband router for Internet access, you would be wise to contact your router vendor to be sure you are running the latest firmware for your router & to verify that your router has been tested by someone other that you before you take the plunge....

KDCDQ, Security Freak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.