Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DarrenDavisLeeSome, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Looks like my earlier negative feelings regarding the new Internet Explorer 8 may have been premature. I downloaded and installed IE8 yesterday evening. Installed it right over IE7. Didn't make any changes in the Local Computer Policy settings prior to installing IE8 (I had GOBS of them custom set), left everything as-was.

I dunno....must have been a bad install the first time around. It's working fine now :D

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Re: ESS 4.0.424 vs. Internet Explorer 8

TBH You need to set it up a way you like it.

Someone elsewhere complained about something to do with new IE Windows opening in new Process not new TAB.

Well he could have changed it to that in the settings.

Once you have all the settings set in IE Props and Toolbar set up and locked etc its fine IMO.

3. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Great.

I just discovered another thing that I DO NOT like about IE8...no drop down in the address bar for the previously visited websites. I used that quite extensively with IE7.

Sorry, I know this isn't a Internet Explorer Forum.

4. Jager

Jager Registered Member

Thats funny I'm sure that worked for me. But I disabled it so I wouldn't get the stupid message about getting Live Search.
    Have a look under Internet Options -> Content -> Settings for AutoComplete.
    I use Firefox myself but its a shared computer with IE as the default browser

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Yeah...I see what you mean....yuck :gack:

I'll tinker with the Local Computer Policy settings a little bit... see if there's something in there to disable that stupid link.

I don't particularly care how they force a certain configuration of deleting everything at once.:blink: and it stays that way till you go back and reconfig it....what a joke...:ouch:

Not very promising....:doubt:

Probably be going back to IE7...

6. Temp Member

7. DarrenDavisLeeSome

There's nothing wrong with my install.

In IE7 the AutoComplete settings in the Local Computer Policy had nothing to do with the drop-down menu in the Address bar. I just wasn't as familiar with all of the different Local Computer Policy settings for IE8 and I had everything wrapped really tight.

I do now have AutoComplete partially enabled, just for browsing History, and it does save the websites URL's that I typed in. I didn't see the red "X" before. Sneaking little thing. Stays hidden unless you have your cursor right on the URL space.

So there's 2 ways to delete browsing History....those red "X" s and the Internet Options>General tab>Delete with the History box checked. Maybe I can get used to this...maybe not...gotta give it a few days.

8. Temp Member

The statement you made above :

I have showed a picture of it having exactly the function you say (or said) yours does not. o_O

P.S Auto Complete has nothing to do with Address Bar Typed History out of the box (not sure if you start to mess with Policies) but you can choose to not enable Auto Complete when asked and all this stops is searches in Google or Live Search Box and User/Pass for Sites/Forums.

Possibly do not mess with things and it will work, "a bad workman always blames his tools". ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. DarrenDavisLeeSome

It DID NOT because, like I already told you, I HAD the AutoComplete fully disabled when I still had IE7. When I installed IE8 over the top of IE7 it did not change those particular setting at all and that is why I was not getting the drop-down in the Address Bar with IE8.

Perhaps. That would only make sense IF did not install it over the top of IE7 with all the settings I had in the Local Computer Policy. The only way I could have managed a near true OOB install of IE8 would be to erase/format my drive, install XP all over again from scratch and not touch any of the settings in Local Computer Policy. I don't care how good of an uninstall of IE7 I were to get there would still be a great deal of IE7 Local Computer Policy settings left behind whether or not I went back and individually reset everything back to default (Not Configured). They cannot be deleted nor can they be quickly set back to default. There is no magic "factory settings" button. You can't even import or export settings. That's the Microsoft Management Console for you and that's the only way the more advanced Local Computer Policy settings can be accessed (with XP Pro). I think both Vista Business and Vista Ultimate have something very simular.

Getting back to this:
    I do get that now after I partial enabled AutoComplete for browsing History via the Local Computer Policy. I thought I had made that abundantly clear with my last post.

10. Temp Member

You posts are about as clear as MUD and by your tone I will never try to even help you again. :thumbd:

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

tell him man, now you see where I am coming from. MUSTANG!

12. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Fine.

Whatever.

So long...both of you.

Double whammy with the insults and back at ya.

Not my fault you're both morons. Just trying to tell it like it is and.... you both gotta be some real jerk-offs in person.

Your both staying on my Ignore list for good now.

See the Birdies?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  13. Temp Member

Drop dead, you are beyond help. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.