Internet Explorer 8 keeps redirecting

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by screamtoo, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamtoo

screamtoo Registered Member

When clicking a link Internet Explorer redirects to spam sites. How can I stop it

2. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hey Screamtoo
    What you are experience it's often a sympton of malware on your system. You have to do a complete system scan, but before you do that, remember to update Eset Smart Security. If that do not help, then just write again to this thread. Please next time give a little bit more info about what you have tried to do to solve your problem.
    Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  3. screamtoo

I ran complete ESET scans a couple different times. It is still redirecting. Should I scan with anythin else? Thanks

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What operating system are you using? Any other security software? When did this start?

Finally, are you using ESET software?

5. screamtoo

Should have mentioned up front. XP pak 3, Eset Smart Security, Explorer 8,started about a week ago. If I right click the link to start in a new tab, it seems OK. ONly happens when left clicking link, then it either redirects, or sometimes I get two windows, the one I wanted plus a bonus I didn't. I did just have an event with a Trojan, which I submitted and ESET fixed in a subsequent update.

6. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hey again Screamtoo
    Here is what you can do: Get a second opinion from another vendor. I would properly choose: Malwarebytes and and Hitman pro 3,5. Redirecting is often or can be a rootkit. The other two mention vendors detect also rootkits, but you can use this program to, if you like: Rootkit Revealer 1.71 from Filehippo. If nothing of the above works I would definitely contact Eset customer support, where they properly will have you to do a Eset sysinspector Rapport for problem solving.
    Best Regards :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
  7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A technical support engineer may need to examine the PC to determine why this is occurring. It may be best to contact your local ESET office directly to arrange for additional support via a remote assistance session.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. screamtoo

I've been out of tow for a few days. How do I contact the local ESET support for remote session. It is still redirecting. Sometimes, if clicking a link, it redirects right away. Other times a new page pops up while I'm reading the page I intended. Ran full scan with ESET, and Malwarebyte. It found a few items, but not this one. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen everytime. Thanks for the help.

9. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Sounds you might have the TDL3 rootkit (or the TDL3+ bootkit) on your computer. Try a scan with Hitman Pro. It is free and only takes less than 5 minutes.

10. Nerimash

Nerimash Registered Member

Try scan your system with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

11. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Once the infection is removed, you will still be redirected. The malware edited your hosts file, so you have to go in and delete what the malware added to your hosts file.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

13. poo bear

poo bear Registered Member

You mentioned that the first page you see when starting internet explorer is not the one you expect to see but subsequent one's on the tabs are okay, so;

Is it just your home page that has changed?

If yes there is an easy solution.

If no then pardon me for interferring :)

14. Zombu2

Zombu2 Registered Member

I have run into this problem before and deleting everything in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc solved the problem since something put redirects into the hosts file

also running combofix will prolly get rid of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.