Interesting TechWeb article - Vista Poses Danger To Security Product Vendors: Analyst

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by msanto, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Microsoft can pull the consumer security software rug out from under its long-time partners and likely avoid antitrust charges by sprinkling security throughout Vista in bits and pieces, an analyst said this week.

Microsoft's move earlier this year to debut Windows Live OneCare at $50 is a shot across the bow, JupiterResearch analyst Joe Wilcox said in an interview Thursday.

"It's clearly chosen to compete with partners," said Wilcox. "If you want one sign that Microsoft is aggressively competing with partners [in the consumer security market], look at the pricing of OneCare.

"Until April 30, anyone using OneCare can have it for $19.95 a year." Even after that, the price of $49.95 for three machines, said Wilcox, is a warning to companies like Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee and others that Microsoft is serious about taking share.

So serious, in fact, that Wilcox expects some substantial fall-out. "Microsoft's entrance into the security product market will drive out many of the smaller vendors within 24 months," he predicted.

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I have a hard time believing this for one main reason:
    The users of smaller security vendors tend to be more knowledgable about security and want more control, something Microsoft OneCare does not get them. Also, the users generally prefer to mix and match security products, which these small vendors do a great job at making.

Just my opinion though...

Alphalutra1

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just wonder can thsi live care be possible for dial up users, i think not feasible.

4. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Re: Interesting TechWeb article - Vista Poses Danger To Security Product Vendors: Ana

malware writers will eventually end up opening holes in vista, making users going back to other security apps

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: Interesting TechWeb article - Vista Poses Danger To Security Product Vendors: Ana

I totally agree with u.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I hate to pop some bubbles but after all the scrutiny that the whole world is put into and disecting the internals of windows workings there really isn't much left to cover anymore anyway IMO.

Especially now that new HIPS are around and as rock solid protection as it gets.

Why do you think they needed to create and fashion Vista in the first place? It is certainly not to address security.

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea

Hi there

There is only one reason for Vista i think and that is DRM, in other words:'Sqeeuze more money out of those costumers and limit the control on their computer'

Added to that, it is a nice deal for the hardware-vendors aswell.
    I've read on some blog (sorry i don't have the link anymore) that less than 40% of the current hardware will run under Vista.

Linux is getting more atractive every minute.:)

greetings
    Lamehand.

8. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

The history of XP tells me that MS will create a whole new environment of security flaws when Vista is released.

MS will call them "features."

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

To both of the immediately above posters on their respective replies.

3 Cheers!! Couldn't agree more and certainly couldn't have said it any better. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.