Interesting HIPS test- Delete Volume

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thanks for the samples Easter.

Robodog wouldn't or couldn't run Sandboxed.

Death.exe did start sandboxed which seemed to be contained.I terminated after about 10 meg of data was created.

Also ran everything else in the samples with all of them either not being able to run sandboxed or contained.

Deleted the sandbox and everything seemed fine.Sandboxie Beta ver 3.25.02.
    Death-exe.jpg

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thanks Franklin :thumb:
    updated also to latest,waiting for next weakness. no problem with Tsuk at your fingertips.

3. arran

arran Registered Member

Thanks easter for the download link.

tried it on my other old hard disk. the ones sandboxie was unable to block eqsecure blocked them all. also antivir nails them with that enabled. I guess this is why we have multiple security layers so if sandboxie fails then either your hips or av blocks them.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran DeleteVolume too, but I unfreezed my system partition first to have a normal computer.

Test-1
    1. During unzipping Online Armer Free Firewall gave me a warning with the choice "Allow" or "Block".
    2. So I clicked on "Block" and that was the end of Test-1. Nothing happened.

Test-2 : Online Armor Free Firewall = disabled.
    1. During unzipping Anti-Executable gave me a warning without a choice, which means "Block".
    2. That was the end of Test-2. Nothing happened.

Test-3 : Online Armor Free Firewall = disabled and Anti-Executable = disabled
    1. During unzipping no warning anymore, so I clicked on DeleteVolume.exe
    2. After that all volumes disappeared A, D and F, except C.
    3. After reboot, the same situation. Time for a valium pill and Plan B.

Plan B : Volumes A, D and F are still gone, except C.
    1. I opened FDISR and clicked on "Freeze Previous", which refreezes my system partition in a previous state and rebooted.
    2. All volumes are back to normal. So Plan C and Plan D weren't necessary.
    End of Tests (EOT)

In this case plan B (= boot-to-restore) fixed the situation, which surprised me.
    KillDisk cannot be fixed with plan B and requires Plan C+ (Plan C is not enough) or Plan D+.
    I don't have KillDisk to test it myself. The same for Robodog.

I can imagine that many average users would keep on staring at their screen for a long time, when all volumes are gone, except C. No diskette drive, no CD drive and in my case no second HDD anymore, which is a real panic situation.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  5. arran

arran Registered Member

I would have kept online armor and anti executable going and clicked allow to unzip. and then click on DeleteVolume.exe to see if Online Armor or Anti-Executable would have given you another popup warning for when DeleteVolume.exe was being executed.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There is no DeleteVolume.exe (only .zip) when OA or AE is active. The .zip file is not unzipped, so no deletevolume.exe eitheir, only the unzip-folder was created, but was empty.
    AE never allows to run an unzipped, unauthorized executable (good or bad), at least not on HIGH security.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

arran I found that Sandboxie blocked them all from accessing the real system and those that did run sandboxed it was a simple matter of terminating all processess then deleting the contents.

Which ones did you find that bypassed SB?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think there was none like that.

9. arran

arran Registered Member

when I tested death inside sandboxie, eqsecure kept on prompting me to block most of them I can't remember which ones. But if eqsecure had to come into action wouldn't this mean that sandboxie wasn't doing its job?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, u r interpreting it wrong.

EQS will propt even on many actions that are contained inside SBIE.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Don,t remember exactly now, not a file infector though. It creates executables in Windows, system 32 folder which inturn execute to carry out other malicious actions etc etc.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

So it's a dropper.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi EASTER,

Sorry for the late reply, but I have checked it out, and I also didn´t see the behavior that you described, death.exe didn´t manage to escape the sandbox, and I didn´t even see it modifying files, so I´m not sure if this is in fact a file infector.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW I just remember that did got alert that it was modifying an exe on my non-OS partition but the exe was not infact modified as I checked later, so I am not sure whether it,s a file infector or not?

Easter! what were ur findings about this?

15. arran

arran Registered Member

well my eqs promps said that it was trying to modify files which are located outside of sandboxie.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes but the file will not be modified infact due to SBIE.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I've since updated SandboxIE with tzuk's latest release and not experienced any similar problems, BUT, i can attest to the fact from real experience that when i ran Death (Run Sandboxed) and then also clicked Supervise.exe i was totally unaware anything had penetrated my non-O/S partition. At the time it looked as everything was under control, but on later review i noticed some .exe's on that partition that were obviously corrupted since their icons took on a faded look. I further found that when i clicked those "infected" exe's to further examine any malicious behavior, it was like they also were launching Supervise or at least calling on it.

For me that's pretty certain a file infector is in play here.

I'll look into this further, because theres more to it than meets the eye or what shows up at Jotti or Virus Total i suspect.
    I would also suggest some solid proof to this from anyone who might know better how to investigate these type of malicious codes infestations.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A more less destructive virus which is indeed a file infector but one that i have witnessed NOD32 clean with high percentages of success is the Parite Virus, but as with any destructive virus should anyone decide to research it then prepare first an alternate HD to conduct your tests, not a production environment because of their unpredictability. There are several samples available at offensivecomputing database, but i think if any or all of our security programs can effectively neutralize such an infector minus any AV at all, that might better show the differences between the POWER of HIPS compared to other security apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.