Installing True Image under Suse 9.3

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BrianSNJ, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianSNJ

BrianSNJ Registered Member

Ok...this is a stupid NOOB question so please forgive me.

Also, let me say that I dearly love, treasure and enjoy the quality of Acronis products. You guys have made my life so much easier over the years!

Ok..I don't know how to install the Trueimage-setup file! lol I am new to Suse 9.3 and Linux altogether. This is the problem...enduser, not a product issue.

I decompressed the latest TI linux version that I downloaded today to a folder on my desktop. Inside the folder are 4 directories, How To Install and readme docs and a trueimage-setup executable file.

I don't know what to do next. I tried double clicking it...nothing happened. I dragged and dropped it into the RUN command GUI, nothing happened.

What do I do next?

Yes, again, I apologize for my ignorance.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BrianSNJ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

Please read more on how to install Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux in chapter 2 of Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux User's Guide and "how to install" files that came with the installation package. Please try to follow the instructions given in these documents in order to install the software.

If you would not be able to install the software for some reasons then please tell me what exact steps described in the installation instructions are you unable to perform.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. BrianSNJ

Yes, I did read the installation notes. I am new to Linux and this particular product under Linux. I am going to use this product to protect my installation as I experiment and screw up so I can learn without doing too much damage. lol

Ok this is exactly what I am having trouble with the instructions that say
    "Run ./trueimage-setup"

I have no idea what that means or how to do it. I know this is obvious to most but like I said, I am new to Linux. I don't know how to install programs really.

4. Acronis Support

Hello BrianSNJ,

While in the command console you need to navigate to the folder where the installation package is located using the command "cd [full path to the folder]". Once you get there just issue the command

./trueimage-setup

This will automatically install Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. BrianSNJ

Ahhhhhhh I see.

Ok...I was typing RUN ./trueimage-setup.

Ok..I did that, it starts to install, I get a compilation error message. It said GCC was not installed. Luckily I stumbled across that package and installed it. I also ran YAST to update just in case. I rebooted for safety measures.

Now when I try the same process, it says "ATI setup has not found precompiled snapapi module for running kernel....." etc.

I try to compile instead of skipping. It tries then this message pops up "ATI Setup failed to build kernel modules. Consult /var/log/trueimage-setup.log and /var/lib/dkms/snapapi26/0.6.6/build/make.log for error messages.

Basically, at this point I believe I have not compiled this snapapi26 thing! lol
    I have the logs copied and can send them to you if needed. But I bet this is an easy fix because of my ignorance to linux.

Thanks for getting me through the first bump...I am almost home, hang in there with me! lol

6. Acronis Support

Hello BrianSNJ,

Could you please tell me if you tried to compile snapAPI module as it is described in section 2.2 of Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux User's Guide?

Please also clarify what exact commands you used to compile snapAPI module?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. BrianSNJ

This is exactly what I am doing...
    I run the ATI setup program, the installation process starts, at the first Acronis screen I hit NEXT, I get the message ATI setup has not found a precompiled snapapi module for the running kernel. It is suggested to compile it now." At this point I can either choose CONTINUE or SKIP. I choose CONTINUE. I then get ERROR - ATI setup failed to build kernel modules. Consult such and such logs, etc. All I can choose now is EXIT. Which I do and I am back at the console command screen.

I did upgrade and I believe my current kernel version is 2.6.11.4-21.8, atleast that is what is said in the Control Center window of KDE in SUSE 9.3.

I have tried the instructions in the How TO to "kernel module build and install".

I type the following except for what is in brackets -
    # dkms build -m snapapi26(for module name) -v snapapi26.c (for module version) \
    (It goes to the next line perfectly)
    > --config config-2.6.11.4-21.8-default(for config file) \
    (It goes to the next line perfectly but the next line is where things go wrong.)
    > --kernelsource dir /usr/src/linux (I get this error message DKMS tree does not contain :snapapi26-snapapi26.c Build cannot continue without proper tree.

I tried /usr/src/snapapi26-0.6.6 and /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8-obj, and some others. I cannot find the correct kernel source directory at this point.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  8. BrianSNJ

Let me correct myself. It probably is NOT the kernel source directory. It is probably something wrong with the information I am putting in for snapapi.

What do you think?

9. Acronis Support

Hello BrianSNJ,

Please issue the following commands and save outputs after them:

uname -m
    uname -r

After that please issue the commands:
    /usr/sbin/dkms build -m snapapi26 -v 0.6.6 -k [the ouput of the send command] --config config-2.6.11.4-21.8-default --arch [the output of the first command] --kernelsourcedir /usr/src/linux
    /usr/sbin/dkms install -m snapapi26 -v 0.6.6 -k [the ouput of the send command] --config config-2.6.11.4-21.8-default --arch [the output of the first command] --kernelsourcedir /usr/src/linux

This should solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Hans Zeta

Hans Zeta Registered Member

use the following command to install true image:
    ./trueimage-setup --norpm

11. BrianSNJ

I did not realize anyone responded.

I figured this out by accident.

The correct directory was /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8
    and not /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8-obj.

It worked just fine after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.