Installing programmes for Limited User - possible?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

Could you advice me on how to install programmes for Limited User please. I want to use this for myself for extra security while surfing the net.

Some of the programmes I installed so far take into consideration Limited User and Guest account.

But I found the following programmes Not installed for Limited Users and Guest account.

Could you tell me how to install them exactly please.

1) Rainlender - how to install this for Limited User?

2) Ccleaner - how do I install this or does it mean the Administrator do all the cleaning for Limited user too?

3) Hoversnap - this too please for Limited User.

4) Firefox - How do I copy my Admin Firefox Profile to Limited User profile?

Cheers

Chew

P/s: Most anti-softwares tend to cover Limited User quite nicely ... just need to re-activate them that's all.

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Catch-22 Limited Account vs. Auto Updtes

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13186143

As this on going thread at DSLR will tell you..the catch22 on WIN XP has to do with the developer of those product you mentioned above..have not taken advantage of the info provided at the developer's site at Microsoft to do it all the correct way..so you are stuck with the need to contact them direct and ask them those questions.

But within that thread you will also find methods you can use to accomplish the task.

See also
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/43064/43064.html

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  3. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks Primrose

I will have a quick read now ...

Chew:)

4. Primrose

There is a good possibilty that members here at Wilder's have also run into that same problem on the specific programs you have in your above list..so check back and they might tell you how they did it all with out compromising the fact they want to still stay secure in facing the internet only as a LIMITED user..elevating the priviledges for limited has its consequences..but if you can just do it for specifice programs..that you trust..and feel also those programs could never get whcked from the outside..then you have at least considered all the risks.

But it sure is a pain I know..good luck Chew ;)

5. chew

chew Registered Member

Primrose

Thanks for the link ... but ... errmmm ... I tried to read them with the speed of "light" but after 2 pages I realised it was a hotly discussed topic and I was no way near the end of tunnel ... :eek:

I guess I will have to wait for replies from Wilders Forums users.

But so far SWG, SWB, MRU Blaster, Ewido, Ad-aware SE, McAfee, MicrosoftAntiSpyware are working fine on Limited User Account.

Firefox 1.0.3 appreared but not the profile ... I don't even know how to transfer my profile there ... ?

Chew

6. Primrose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.