installing PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by northstar51, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northstar51

northstar51 Registered Member

Hello: when i try to install PG on my system i get this message" unable to extract procguard.pkf because windows doesn't know where the file came from" how do i solve this problem? second, where can i access the PG help manual (procguard.chm) to help me out on this? i was able to download the full version of PG but it won't run because unzip the pkf file to the PG directory...thank you very much for any help with this...

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

NorthStar51,

You do not need to extract procguard.pkf. Just move it into your Process Guard folder. It is your license file and needs to be in the c:\Program Files\ProcessGuard folder all the time so your PG will show as licensed.

You should be able to access the Help file once you get Process Guard installed with procguard.pkf installed. Just open the GUI program Process Guard and click on Help in the top menu.

3. northstar51

Silliconman01:
    thank you for the advice. i'll do that. should have thought of that myself,but thank goodness i have this kind of forum to ask my inane questions. thanx again...ns51

4. northstar51

Hello:
    i thought of one more thing that might cause a problem. the first time i downloaded PG, i forgot to disable my surfinguard program. this program will block all manner of activeX controls and java script. when you download something from internet, surfinguard will put downloaded item in a surfinguard folder. could this cause a problem with applying the lic key to full version of PG folder? i apologize for being a pest, but thank you

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi ns51, I doubt is surfing guard will recognise procguard.pkf as as malware and anyway it is sent as an attachment to an email you receive from DCS when you purchase PG.
    If you are concerned about the full version Down Load from the DCS Process Guard member's area, you may want to add DCS to your trusted zone.

BTW
    You are not a pest at all, much better to ask than to be ignorant ;)

HTH Pilli

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Good idea, although strangely enough that won't provide many benefits because our site is proudly 100% ActiveX-free, script-free, and free from all other sorts of nonsense. It's just vanilla HTML and server-side PHP. Personally I wish all sites were like this - it'd make websurfing a heck of a lot more secure, but who am I to complain ... :)

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Edit - wrong thread ! :oops:

Ok disregard :)

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Gavin, PG not PE or was that just a digit slip? :p

9. northstar51

Hello: i think Gavin has the solution:"Unzip the PORT.PKF file from the zip attached, and overwrite your port.pkf in the PE folder. All should be well and you can run PE - enjoy !. problem is, i don't know how to perform this task. could you help with this? my pc shows that i have the full version of PG down., the lickey(unzipped) and the procguard.pkf file. when i try to run PG, i get a message which says my keyfile isn't loaded onto PG directory.
    as before, thanks very much for your help, i really appreciate it. i realize it's my incompetenct w/pc that's the problem. thanx, ns51

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again NS51
    To unzip the file in XP double click the xip file to open it, select the file by clicking on it then select extract and you will be able to navigate to the PE or PG folder, then apply to extract the keyfile to the folder.
    port.pkf - *:\program files\ Port Explorer
    procguaerd.pkf - *:\program files\ Process Guard
    Where * denotes your hard drive letter :)

HTH Pilli

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes.. disregard my message in the wrong place :)

What email client ? did you save the zip file to disk or choose to OPEN it ? then you need to extract the procguard.pkf to your PG folder ;)

12. northstar51

Hello: success at last. i tried to get PG to run on my own account but finally gave my nephew a call and he was able to solve my problem over the phone. i had installed PG and stored it in 'my documents'. my nephew said to go to 'my computer', click on 'program files' and open the PG file there. before that i right clicked on the pkf file and copied it. then i pasted the pkf file in the PG folder in my program files in 'my computer'. how easy is that? took me 20 seconds once i knew where to go.
    thank you to all who responded here. i appreciate your help. ns51

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad you have it sorted Ns51 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.