Installing FD with EAZ-FIX

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Kapiti, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Little advice needed please. I have EAZ-FIX installed and wondered about the best way to install a trial version of FD.
    Would it be best to uninstall E-F before installing FD and then reinstall E-F, or does it matter - can I leave E-F installed then install FD?

Anywhere I can download First Defence user guide/manual?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not sure I can give you basis for this, but I would unstall e-f and install FDISR, then reinstall e-f in one or more of your FDISR snapshots. Once FDISR is installed the manual is there. It may be available online, but I am not sure. Other users here might have a link.

Pete

3. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Thanks Peter, I'm starting to have second thoughts about installing FDISR, need to do a little more reading.

4. Peter2150

Well to me FDISR, is like that warm comfy slipper, and EAZ-Fix and Rollback are a love hate affair. I keep trying them, cause I love the concept, but they just let me down occasionally. I will keep trying.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have been running Version 7 and FD-ISR together with XP Pro and no problems. Rollback v8 trashed my disk a couple of months ago due to chkdsk problems, so I switched back to v7. I completely trust First Defense and have been using it for over a year and if I could only have one, that would be it.

Running both together along with a good imaging program makes me feel comfy and cozy and I find the fast snapshots of Rollback very useful.

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

7. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

8. osip

osip Registered Member

running both together (weird idea for a weird mind...),does that mean you have two preboot options?

9. Peter2150

Yes indeed.

10. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

When booting with FD-ISR does it boot straight in to Windows if the F1 key isn't pressed? Would you see any screen at all if the F1 key isn't pressed?

I'm trying to get my head around seeing a screen for FD-ISR then another screen for E-F at bootup. If they both show a bootup screen which one shows first?

11. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

when I tried RollbackRX (same as eaz-fix) and FDISR the sequence was Rollback boot screen first where you had the option for a few seconds to press the HOME key to boot into that system, then the FDISR screen where you had a few seconds to press the F1 key. If you didn't press any of the keys the computer booted up as normal.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't know about Eaz-Fix, but FDISR works like this.
    A. If you reboot via the Start-button and
    A.1. If you don't press the F1-key during reboot, you will boot in the snapshot, where you were working before reboot.
    A.2. If you press the F1-key during reboot, you get a list of all snapshots from which you can choose and you will boot in the choosen snapshot.

B. If you reboot with the function "Boot to Snapshot" of FDISR, you won't see the F1-key, only the Splash Screen during reboot and you will boot in the choosen snapshot.

If you disable the Pre-boot (under Actions), you won't see the Splash Screen and the F1-key anymore.
    It's not a good idea to disable the Pre-boot, because you disable the main function of FDISR : "Immediate System Recovery" and you lose the possibility to boot in another snapshot, when the current snapshot is corrupted.

I don't know about Eaz-Fix, but I hope you know enough about FDISR to start using Eaz-Fix. If you don't, you better wait with Eaz-Fix. :)

13. Peter2150

WHen I had both Rollback and FDISR installed the Rollback preboot showed first, then FDISR.

14. silver0066

Yes, first Rollback and then First Defense.

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Not sure on the best way but I do have both running on my system.
    Bought BootBack first, same program as FD, then installed EAZ-FIX after. Both running together as smooth as a baby's butt.:D

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I had both running together as well, FD-ISR and then installing RollbackRX 7 on XP. I really never got the concept nailled down though. I would assume that RollbackRX controlled both FD-ISR snapshot though since it was in the MBR before the Boot Sector of FD-ISR. So let me see if this is correct, I might just try that combo again.

1. If I install both, FD-ISR snapshots updates will update current system in the current working snapshot of RollbackRX correct?

2. FD-ISR exports will also be the current system snapshot of RollbackRX correct?

3. If I restore with RollbackRX, it will restore both FD-ISR snapshots to that point of that RBX snapshot correct?

4. So what if I inport a snaphot to FD-ISR, it will then be included in the next snapshot of RollbackRX?

I just installed both FD-ISR and RollbackRX together, didn't really test much, just though of testing to see if they worked together. I did restore some with Rollback, but just had FD-ISR as spare, never used though.

dja2k

17. silver0066

1. Correct
    2. Correct except not the current saved snapshot but the current system.
    3. Correct
    4. Yes, if you mean copy/update the current snapshot from another snapshot, Archive or otherwise, it will be included in the next Rollback snapshot.

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks for the reply silver0066, I am all set to try this again. Brand new RAID-0 repartitioned and formated volumes with new windows installations and two identical FD-ISR snapshots. Last time I didn't install RBX in both FD-ISR snapshots cause I wasn't working with the other and in reality I was just messing around with the two combinations. Anyways, I read around, you first have to install RBX in one FD-ISR snapshot and say its a dual boot system and then install it normally in the second FD-ISR snapshot for it to allow bootting into both correct?

Can you update the RBX baseline as well without problems? Back then I did revert back to other snapshots but never did I update the baseline.

dja2k

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  19. silver0066

dja2k,

Rather than dual booting, you can install the other OS into an empty FD snapshot. Then just go back and forth between OS's by booting into the different FD snapshots. You can then install Rollback into both FD snapshots, use the advanced installer for the first FD snapshot and the normal install for the second FD snapshot. Think of Rollback as encompassing both FD snapshots. When you boot, both FD and Rollback boot screens will appear, Rollback first and then FD.

Yes, you can update the Rollback baseline without problems. I also have a RAID 0 system and have had no problems with Rollback v7. v8 has caused me crashes.

I suggest that you get a good imaging program for backup in case of problems. Defrag and image your drive before installing Rollback, and then keep an FD archive for backup in case of problems. Then you can just restore the image, update your FD snapshot from the archive and you are good to go. You will need to reinstall Rollback into one of the snapshots however in order to get it back.

You will need to email Rollback for a license reset, also you will need to do this if you uninstall Rollback to do another disk defrag. This is my main complaint with Rollback. Horizon is very paranoid about their licensing and have made the decision not to fix this major problem as they promised to do in July. They are very quick however in responding to a reset request, except on weekends or holidays.

Silver

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I am sorry if I didn't mention or didn't clarify, but I do have two snapshots in FD-ISR, thats what I meant, not dual boot, not two operating systems. I already have FD-ISR installed, two FD snapshots, defraged with PerfectDisk. I have already backed up my current system with Acronis True Image 10. I just need to get RollbackRX into them. So I will follow what you said, install one in advanced mode and then install the other in normal mode. Hopefully it will work just fine.

UPDATE:
    Installation of RollbackRX on both FD-ISR snapshots went fine, I can boot back and forth.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.