Installation Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kncuda, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kncuda

kncuda Registered Member

I'm having trouble with ATI 9. I purchased it last week, installed it today, and have had nothing but trouble.

First, the installed copy (build 2259) wizard crashes when I tell it to do a simple disk backup. It lets me choose the drive I want to back up, but fails when I tell it the file name and drive location to put the backup on. It either crashes completely or tells me to wait - for hours. This should be simple - I have four hard drives and want to run a backup of drive E:\ (60GB, about half full) onto drive F:\ (120 GB, nearly empty). Am I missing something?

OK, so maybe there's a software update on the Web, so I download 70+MB of the latest update (after going through the ridiculous gyrations to register and log in to the Acronis web site), and try to install the update, and it won't even complete the installation. The install looks almost complete, but then apparently hangs, again telling me to wait (for hours). Not only that, but it didn't replace the earlier version as the Acronis FAQ said it would, so now I have 2 dysfunctional copies on my hard drive, under 2 different names (build 2259 does not have "Home" in the name).

Finally I try this forum to look for applicable threads, and find warnings to wait on installing the latest build until people are sure that it works properly. I'm quickly losing confidence in this software, and am glad I tried a low-risk backup (not my boot drive). Can anyone help out? Are there other software incompatibilities other than Norton GoBack? I have Partition Magic 8.0 installed - could that be a contibuting factor? It concerns me that ATI messes with the MBR - I don't like Norton doing it either - too many opportunities for serious problems and conflicts.

(Homebuilt PC 1.8 Ghz P4, MS XP Pro fully updated, Norton Internet Suite (not GoBack)

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Can you uninstall whatever you have installed? Can you GoBack to before you installed the new build and then do an uninstall of the old version and then reinstall the new version.

Are all your drives internal, non-RAID as it appears in your message? If so TI should work well.

Acronis does not do anything to the MBR unless you install the Secure Zone.

To my knowledge PM is not a problem.

Edit: Can somebody confirm if setting up the Secure Zone changes the MBR or do you have activate the Recovery Manager for a change in the MBR?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kncuda,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please uninstall previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image and install build 3567 once again.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. Acronis Support

Hello seekforever,

When you create Acronis Secure Zone, Acronis True Image does not change MBR. Master Boot Record will be changed, if you activate Acronis Startup Recovery manager only.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. kncuda

kncuda Registered Member

I uninstalled the original version and completed the install of build 3567. That went well. I still cannot back up files or a drive, however. ATI seems to hang with a message "Preparing Operation "Current Backup Operation". It says "Processing, Please Wait".................. Forever. Anyone else run into this before?

Note: I'm not using a RAID, just 4 simple IDE drives, 3 of the 4 set up as master drives on a Soyo Mobo capable of installing 8 drives. I've got my DVD and CD burners on the 4th IDE channel.

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Make the bootable TI Rescue CD and try with that. It does just about everything that the software will do from within Windows.

7. Acronis Support

Hello kncuda,

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

As Chutsman said, you can also create the bootable rescue media and see whether the problem persists in the rescue mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. kncuda

kncuda Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I had run chkdsk yesterday before I opened your post and found a problem on one of my hard drives, which I repaired. ATI now works fine! It performed a flawless backup of the drive I wanted, and I also played with file and directory backups. Thanks again for your help and your quick response to my concerns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.