Installation problem on very fast machine

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have recently finished building my new PC which has a Core 2 Quad overclocked to 3.25GHz, and a 80GB RAID 0 system partition (using the outer parts of 2x500GB HD's). I'm using XP Pro SP2.

During installation, LnS was installed but the service was never installed. Also, the "Advanced Options" button is greyed out.

Also, the LnS window always starts with the GUI visible, instead of being minimized (this might just be because it's the trial version)

It is only the trial version LnS, but I will purchase another licence if I can get it working properly.

I'm guessing the installation routine wait's for some tasks to be completed, but as the machine is so fast it does not wait long enough.

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Defenestration :)

Overclocked eh ? hmmm... How to bypass this now ?

Try to install LnS in safe mode. Your PC is still overclocked in this mode but there's less processes and may be this help...

You may also contact the LnS support for this special issue.

LnS Support Contact

Hope this help. Let us kow.

:)

3. Defenestration

Hi Climenole,

I got around the service problem by using the .bat file that came with the original release of LnSSvc.exe (for 2.05).

The other two problems with it always starting with the GUI visible and the Advanced Options button being greyed out are due to it being the trial version, so that's solved that problem.

While checking, I noticed another minor problem if you use the "Restart the service" option on the Services MMC window for the LnS service, while both LnSSvc.exe and looknstop.exe are running. It should stop both processes and then restart them both, but instead stops both processes and only restarts LnSSvc.exe. This appears to be due to the delay in looknstop.exe stopping, so that when LnSSvc.exe restarts and attempts to re-launch looknstop.exe, looknstop.exe is still in the process of shutting down.

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Defenestration :)

I try it here and I don't have that problem of delay. (I don't have a fast PC like yours ) The only delay I have is to restart the GUI not to shutdown it.

Frederic is working on the GUI issue and I guess the next release of LnS will have 2 services instead of only one: one for the FW itself and the other one for the GUI. [This have to be confirmed by Frederic].

In normal operations there is no reason, I guess, to shutdown the LnS service. There is also an option to keep LnS running while the GUI is shutdown. See Option tab, advanced options. There's one option for the application filterings and an other for Internet filtering...

:)

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I don't think the problem was related to the very fast machine.
    The service is not installed by default during the standard installation process. It has to be configured after the first start.

Regarding option greyed and GUI not minimized, this is simply a registration issue. If you don't have yet a serial based on the email address, you should ask the support.

Regards,

Frederic

6. Defenestration

It's been such a long time since I did a fresh install of LnS, and don't usually have a need to fiddle with the options once I have it set up the wqay I like, but I've just realized there is a newish option to Automatically start it as a service from the LnS GUI.

Re. registration, do I need to purchase a new licence for my new machine if I intend to keep using it on my old machine, or will a single licence allow me to run it on both my machines ?

At least I got to brag about my new super fast machine :D

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, you need one licence per computer running Look 'n' Stop.

Frederic

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, to be confirmed :)
    I'm not sure yet what the solution will be.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.