Installation hangs, registration problem...

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by asembler, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asembler

asembler Registered Member

Installation - registration problem

Just uninstalled old version, restarted, installed latest Pro 2011 v3.2.11343.5521-REL11 and than computer hanged at restart...
    I reset it manually...safe mode...start windows normally...returnil didn't remember my registration so I registered again...but message pops...invalid license number.
    I purchased it 3 weeks ago...I'm not going to contact your support like I did with system safe which I also purchased and wait that you reset my registration from your server every time I install new version or reinstall windows...this is just annoying and I'll rather use free version.
    Please upgrade-fix this registration procedure cause this feels like a punishment to your loyal customers!
    Sorry if I sounded negative...hope you'll work it out and make it smooth and stable like version from 2008.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

asembler,
    Why did you uninstall? Simply install over the older copy and the license is retained during the upgrade. Also, I need more details regarding the "freeze". What froze, for how long, and were there any error messages?

The registration was not remembered because you uninstalled the previous version rather than install the new over the old. This means you have a new client install and the license will be invalid because you are only licensed for one copy.

To have your license reset, you will need to contact support to have it cleared.

Mike

3. asembler

I didn't know that I could install over old copy, can you please note this somewhere with your update links for other users...thanks.
    When I installed Returnil asked for a restart and than it froze but when I reinstalled it restarted normally...strange.
    I still don't think this registration scheme is user friendly, I'll use it in free mode although I have licenses for SysSafe and Pro.

Please remove that popup message when virtual mode is enabled (or make it optional) before shutting down/restarting computer (all data will be lost...) it's really not necessary, we all know what happens after restart.

You should listen more and do something about our complaints/ideas/feedback cause we only want to help improving your product...nothing else.

4. Coldmoon

There are some things to look at as potential sources:

1. Other programs slowing the install signature update/Quick Scan. The actual process is completing in the background, but the GUI is lagging in the display of the current activity. This will make it look like the program is frozen, but it is not and will complete; usually within 3 minutes or so in the worse scenarios of intensive checking by the other security program and (perhaps) an older system with restricted or limited resources.

2. The previous installation was damaged in some way. When this is discovered, the installer may need more than one pass to find the issues and repair them.

The registration process for the Registered free version is exactly the same as the registration for the paid versions. The difference is in what features are unlocked.

Start the Virtual Mode and then check the option box in the popup itself that will turn off the popup for subsequent entries into Virtual Mode.

We do listen and this is why there are options to deactivate the warnings as required.

Mike

5. asembler

Sorry but I don't see that checkbox anywhere...I don't use virtual mode all the time...I start windows and than I activate virtual mode...so only for current session...popup jumps all the time when I go to shutdown.

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Mike,

Wouldn't that be lost when the computer is restarted and booted in normal mode?

Kind regards,

KOR!

7. Coldmoon

No, the option in the warning popup, when activated, simply turns off the warning box itself. When you enter Virtual Mode, you will still see the progress bar as it turns on, but the warning will not be shown.

Mike

8. asembler

9. Coldmoon

Virtual Mode > Settings > Advanced section > "Do not warn when exit from Virtual Mode"

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Mike,

Thank you for clearing this up!

Best regards,

KOR!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I was getting that message at shutdown too and it was interfering with the normal Windows shutdown but after I disabled the pop-up alert all is fine. :cool:

12. asembler

Thanks Mike!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, all best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.