install v2 problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Phazor, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Downloaded and installed new version tonight.

Uninstalled version1 first. Install of new version went ok until it asked to restart computer, which when it did restart i got a message of .... Nod32krn... This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.. if problem persists contact program vendor.
    clicked "ok" and just got the windows desktop background color.. nothing would load. from here on out i had problems for a couple of hours, trying to get computer to start up so i could do something.
    Eventually i got windows to load.. ended up doing a restore of the registry. windows loads ok and i tried reinstall of version2. I know longer get the error message on reboot of the computer but clicking on the control center icon i get the error message .... Nod32kui.. Error occured during communication with nod32 kernal service.. i cant get into the control center at all.

BTW i did a advanced install and choose the default install directory

Please advise..
    Thanks

2. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Lots of lookers but no takers on this one huh...Im at a loss as to what i should do.
    Since i wasnt having any problems with version1, I guess i could reinstall version 1 but from what i hear that will eventually nolonger be supported.
    Which leaves me with a half working virus scanner? i dont think so.
    the only thing i can do with ver2 is right click and scan folders. I know that the mail scanner is not working because it wasnt set up and i dont see anyplace to set it up and i highly doubt that amon is working because i dont see anything of that anywhere either.

Give me some ideas as to what i could try to get this to work. i dont like the idea of not having nod working as it reminds me of my days with mcacrap

3. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Phazor,

I had a similar problem, i was running NODv1 with Sygate Personal Firewall, everything went fine, no probs.

When NODv2 arrived, i uninstalled NODv1, cleaned the registry, rebooted, installed NODv2, and there it was, couldn't load a thing, everytime i try to open NOD he gave me that Kernel fault.

I pondered a long time over this, what could be the culprit, and found out that is wasn't NOD, but my firewall.

Sygate and NOD were unable to live together.

So i uninstalled Sygate, installed Kerio and the probs were gone.

Sample: Try and see how NOD runs without a firewall ( if you use one), see how it runs without programs using the Kernel.

Try eliminating as much as possible, one of the progs you are running is causing this together wirh NOD.

This is not an solution, but maybe it's gets you on your way ;)

rgds,
    Martin

4. linney

linney Registered Member

Just echoing Martin's good ideas. Unininstall your half installed version of NOD32. Try from Safe Mode to reinstall, making sure the minimum amount of other third party programs are (not) running. This will help you avoid conflicts between software during the install phase.

5. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Well spent about 3 hrs last night working on this problem and im not any farther.
    Remember that at one time i too had sygate installed so i went looking for left overs with a registry cleaner and found only one entry which i removed. While i was at it i found 5 entries for mcacrap and removed those.
    Then went to msconfig and unchecked everything. Rebooted and only had explorer and systray and my boclean started up again even though i unchecked it. So i thought maybe this was my problem so i unistalled boclean and restarted.
    Did a fresh install of v2 and i get the same problem. computer boots up and all you see is the desktop colored background, no icons or anything, it just hangs here. With the mouse pointer in the center of the screen with a hourglass next to it and im unable to move the mouse pointer.
    Rebooted, F8 and did a safe mode start uninstalled and rebooted and computer boots without any problems.
    Did another restart except to safe mode and installed program from there and did another reboot
    Once again computer hangs on start up and just shows the background color of the desktop and nothing else...

So at this point im not getting any error messages, i cant get the computer to load windows all the way.

Any other things to tryo_O??

6. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Phazor,

pls. post the NOD SysInfo: NOD32 CC->NOD32 System Tools->Information here,

and write any non-standard software you are running on that machine

Thx., :)

jan

7. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

jan..
    You said....post the NOD SysInfo: NOD32 CC->NOD32 System Tools->Information here.. but i cant because when i boot in safe mode and try to get into the control center i get the error message.... Nod32kui --- error occured during communication with nod32 kernal service...
    If i boot normal, is when i get the desktop colored background(no icons) and the mouse hanging (cant move it).

and not sure what you mean by non-standard software?

8. jan

Phazor,

OK, sorry for that:

- what OS do you have on that machine?

>and not sure what you mean by non-standard software?

- anything else than Microsoft ;)

Thanx, :)

jan

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Maybe visiting http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12339 would help a bit?

10. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

OS.. Windows98se

Some Other Programs Installed

adobe acrobat
    brother 1240 printer-software
    family tree maker
    hp cd-writer
    adshield
    cookie pal
    opera
    myie
    Ie
    Oe
    analogx-pow
    Lotus smartsuite
    norton cleansweep
    mrublaster
    spybot
    bhodemon
    regcleaner
    jv16 powertools
    kerio
    tweakui
    eraser
    Karens powertools - replicator
    second copy 2000
    winzip
    magix cleaning lab
    irfanview
    mwsnap
    courier email-trial- uninstalled last night
    pocomail3-trial
    logitech wingman
    tombraider 2
    gencontacts
    nero-trial-ran out 2 weeks ago and just Uninstalled last night
    calkwalk pyro
    boclean
    mozilla thunderbird mail client

Ran jv6 powertools and downloaded a trial of registry first aid to see what other pieces of junk was left over that maybe powertools wasnt getting. There were about a dozen entries for nero and about 3 for courier. Deleted those, rebooted and tried to install v2 but with no luck, i have the same problem. So i removed v2 rebooted and downloaded the trial version and installed it to see if i
    could get that to work, but couldnt.
    Removed v2 and rebooted again and reinstalled v1 to see if i had any problem with it and it works just fine.

When i have v1 installed it looks as if either kerio of boclean is starting first (as i see those two first upon booting into windows) so im wondering if it has to do with either of these two programs. The only other program that i have recently installed is mozilla thunderbird mail client. But that doesnt load at start up so i dont think that it could be the problem..

Any other thoughtso_O?

11. jan

Hi Phazor,

have you checked the the thread:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12339

as PhantOm has suggested?

jan

12. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Yeah ,, Phant0ms post.

When i type in "services.msc" in Start/Run i get the error message "cannot find the file services.msc or one of its componets...bla bla bla.....Im guessing because i dont have xp but win98. the orginal poster of that message had xp

On the other hand i dont really know how i could type that in to begin with when i cant get windows to load, with version2 installed.
    like i said all i get is the background color of the desktop, no icons and a frozen mouse cursor and Nothing else.
    So how can i go to start/run/ and type c:\program files\eset\nod32kui.exe/waitservice

Ive downloaded the program twice and reinstalled twice..Unistalling inbetween and restarting inbetween.. Which i dont know why it would make a difference. its the same program, whether i download it today or tommorrow and install it either today or tomorrow..
    Why would redownloading and installing the new download make a difference?

I dont mean to sound short with you guys, and i apologize if i did, but ive had a really long week... i dont think anything was suppose go right for me this week. And this problem is really getting old, ive NEVER had any problems with nod..

13. Phant0m

Hey Phazor

Yea that wasn’t specific for Windows 9x/ME, at the time I assumed you was on NT System… Are you downloading and installing correct NOD32 for Win9x/ME and not the NT Versions?

14. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Phant0m,

Im going to http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm
    and downloading the one on the top of the list..
    Nd98enst.exe ..... 5.62 mb

15. Phant0m

Hey Phazor

Hmm yea I totally understand one being frustrated, what I recommend doing is completely uninstalling NOD32.

Clean-up ALL Windows, NOD32…etc Temps/Caches using following;
    Windows Washer http://www.webroot.com
    History Sweeper http://www.itcompany.com/sweeper.htm

Clean-up Windows Registry using following;

System Mechanic http://www.iolo.com/sm/
    Always Right 2.0 http://www.superhunter.net/
    Perfect Companion http://www.easydesksoftware.com/perfect.htm

Clean-up ALL Spyware using Ad-aware with most recent reference file… http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Run a Scan-disk on ALL Local HDD

Re-boot, And then Terminate ALL running 3rd party processes using Task Manager for Win9x/Me http://www.niresoft.com

Install NOD32 and re-boot…

16. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Phant0m,

Spent better part of a day on this, ive ran 3 different registry cleaners, ive run window washer and trackseraser pro, run spybot search and destroy and installed the taks manager thingy.
    Windows washer i had a problem with, it would get to about 82000 items and stop so i installed trackseraser pro and tried it. It removed everything with out any problems.

Needless to say i have a pretty clean putter but it didnt do me any good as i still have the same problem.

After doing a crtl-alt-del and killing everything except
    explorer and systray this is what task manager and process explorer shows

Attached Files:

17. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

process explorer

Attached Files:

18. Phant0m

Are you capable of taking Window Capture of the NOD32 error and posting it ?

19. jan

Hi Phazor,

>Uninstalled version1 first. Install of new version went ok until it asked to restart computer, which when it did restart i got a message of .... Nod32krn... This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..

Please post the screenshot of the whole error message so that we can see all the numbers in the window (two pictures, if needed - scroll up and scroll down), if possible. That could help us.

jan

20. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Ok the first time i installed v2 the first error message i ever got was this.....

Nod32Krn (was in the title bar) and the message was....This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If problem persists contact the program vendor.

I have never seen that message come up again in all the times ive uninstalled and reinstalled.

Upon rebooting the system which the program asks you to do.. i get nothing.. the computer hangs, all you can see is the color of the desktop background.. no icons. no start bar.. no nothing !!!!! But a mouse arrow with a hour glass next to it and it wont move by moving the mouse. Its Stuck.

Now if i boot to safe mode. Go to start/programs/eset/control center and click on it i get the screen shot posted.
    If i go to the desktop icon (nod32) and click on it i get..
    A blue screen with...
    A fatal exception 0C has occurred at F142:00003DA5. The current application will be terminated..

Hope that helps..

Attached Files:

21. jan

Hi Phazor,

>Ok the first time i installed v2 the first error message i ever got was this.....
    Nod32Krn (was in the title bar) and the message was....This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If problem persists contact the program vendor.

Sorry for writing you this, but we'd need the screenshot of this message (because it would tell us more about the conflict) although it might be not easy to get it again - but if you get it, pls. post it here asap - as I wrote you.

Thanx,

jan

22. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Hey there

one more idea - forget it if its way offline.

I know that sygate and even kerio are "b'tches when it comes to uninstall them. I see yo mentioned kerio firewall - I had a lot of trouble myself with win98se when trying to uninstall it completely. The driver fwdrv.sys kept on loading. Maybe you can check on sygate site - there is a good deinstallation setup and which files to delete manually. Same should be possible with kerio

Sygate send me that:
    > Uninstall SPF via the uninstall wizard then reboot. Once up please do the
    > fallowing.
    >
    > Click "start" "Run" and type "regedit" Locate and delete the following
    > folders if found:
    >
    > For 98 & ME
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SyberGen
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wsdrv
    >
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal
    Firewall
    >
    > And there still 2 files need to be delete form windows system directory
    > windows\system\teefer.vxd
    > windows\system\wps.dll
    >
    > For NT & 2000
    > The reg key is:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SyberGen
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wsdrv
    >
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal
    Firewall
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\smcservice
    > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\teefer
    >
    > And the driver files are in:
    > winNT\system32\drivers\teefer.sys
    > winNT\system32\wps.dll

and kerio should be here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

Ruben

23. Phant0m

Was NOD32 meant to be used in “Safe mode”?

Hmm the issue that Phazor is describing with booting up in Normal mode indicates to me there are conflicts, possible trash been left behind by improper Uninstalls. To be little more specific, trash corresponding to Software Firewalls and Anti-Virus Systems…

Is there specific page jan where Phazor could go to-do a complete thorough removal of NOD32? If not I suggest Phazor E-mail Tech Support asking for complete instructions on NOD32 removal.

(This is an Addition to what tosbsas had said)

24. Very_Frustrated

Very_Frustrated Registered Member

Phazor - I feel your pain. I purchased NOD32 this week and cannot for the life of me get version 2 installed.

Tech support recommended I manually start the kernel service which will not work.

After installing version 2 (as recommended by ESET when I purchased it) - the command center will not start.

If I select Start / Programs / Eset / NOD32 Control Center - the NOD32 Antivirus splash screen appears, followed by an alert window titled "nod32kui" and the error text reads

"Error occurred during communication with NOD32 Kernel service."

If I manually attempt to start nod32krn from the dos emulation window - I get the following
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    System error 193 has occurred.

*** is not a valid Win32 application.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I also attempted to start the service by using "services.msc". The service is listed, but not started. If I attempt to start it from that control panel, I get a windows alert window "Microsoft Management Console" with the following text:

"Could not start the NOD32 Kernel Service service on Local Computer.

Error 193: %1 is not a valid Win32 application."

Tech support recommended another download (already done) and another installation (already done) and has even emailed me a copy of nod32krn.exe (which is identical to the downloaded version) all to no avail.

So I guess my question is, after reading all the bug reports on this forum, is Version 2 even worth it? Or should I just keep version 1 installed and take back my money from Eset for not delivering a product as ordered?

25. Phant0m

Hey Very_Frustrated

Your problem appears to be slightly different; looks to be possibly either a failing HDD or file infections…

Do you have another HDD Installed on your Machine Very_Frustrated? You could possibly rule out Failing HDD if that’s the case by installing NOD32 on the Secondary HDD or…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.