Install question(s)

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by pwillener, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

I have the licensed version of Ewido Security Suite 3.5 installed.

I have just downloaded Ewido anti-malware 4 (beta), and I have been wondering whether I need to uninstall version 3.5 first. But then I assumed that version 4 would do that by itself.

So I ran the v4 install. Upon completion I found that I now have both versions 3.5 and 4 installed and running. However, v3.5 is now gone from Add/Remove Programs, and I cannot uninstall it.

Question 1: is Ewido anti-malware supposed to be an upgrade for Ewido Security Suite 3.5?

Question 2: does v3.5 need to be uninstalled before installing v4?

Question 3: can v3.5 and v4 co-exist?

Question 4: how do I uninstall v3.5?

Question 5: why does Ewido anti-malware 4 (beta) not install into the v3.5 ewido folder (which had a subfolder 'security suite')?

2. pwillener

I just noticed that almost the same question was asked and answered in the regular forum. So I will keep v3.5 running for now.

3. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

Iif you look in the program folder for Ewido 3.5, isn't the uninstaller still there? If it is, you can uninstall by activating it from that location.

4. pwillener

Thank you for your reply. But actually I don't see anything that looks like an uninstaller in the ewido\security suite folder, nor in any of the subfolders. Not in the Start Menu either, nor in Documents and Settings.

I wouldn't know where else to look...

5. pwillener

Adding this info to this topic, as it has nothing to do with 4 beta bugs.

I asked a few fellow 3.5 users (who didn't install the beta); they all said they have no uninstaller in their ewido\security suite folder. One of them re-downloaded the 3.5 install and ran it; then he had the uninstall.exe available.

So I did the same (uninstalled the 4 beta first,) re-downloade, reinstalled 3.5, and now I have an uninstall.exe in my install folder.

Could it be that some earlier version did not have the uninstaller? (I installed 3.5 some time in January this year).

6. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

There were a lot false positives related to the nsis installers and uninstaller.exe maybe one of the security applications deleted it?

BR

7. pwillener

McAfee sometimes deletes items without prompting for permission, but never without a report. Well, maybe we'll never know. Not a problem for me now.

8. OldRebel

Some of the popular clean up utilities and registry cleaners have settings to delete uninstallers, and some users delete them without knowing it. This is another possibility.

9. pwillener

Possibility, although not in my case. I use only Ccleaner, and the only uninstallers it deletes (upon request) are the Windows hotfix uninstallers.

10. OldRebel

C Cleaner is the safest, but it will also delete the uninstaller for IE7 beta. It thinks it is a hotfix. Some folks cannot remove that IE7 beta and are having to reformat. Are we absolutely positive that it will not delete the uninstaller for Ewido?

11. pwillener

The Windows hotfix uninstallers (including the IE7 beta uninstaller) are all located in the WINDOWS/WINNT folder, subfolders named $xxxxxxxx$ - I think this is what Ccleaner is looking for. 1.27 had a bug that also deleted $hf_mig$; this is now exempt from deletion in 1.28. Ccleaner does not remove anything from the Program Files folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.