Install problem on WinXP

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by whpromo, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whpromo

whpromo Registered Member

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of TDS on my HP Pavilion running WinXP. The install appears to have been successful, but after reboot, when I attempt to run TDS, I get the error

"System Error &H8007041D (-2147023843). The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I had shut down all programs including McAfee VS and checked that all unneccessary process were killed prior to the install. I setup ZoneAlarm to recognize the program and let it act as a server. When I attempt to start the program, I can see it start up in the Task Manager, but then the error comes up and the process stops, then disappears. Any ideas on how to try resolving this issue?

Regards,
    DW

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi whpromo and welcome!
    did you install as an admin, reboot after install and started TDS as an admin or limited user?

3. whpromo

Yes to all of the above. I've tried logging in as an admin as well as a normal user

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For the normal user it's best to let it start "run as" so it gets the few admin rights it needs to run properly under a normal user.

I'm not sure about this error message, needing the DiamondCS tech team for that.
    In the meantime, suppose you did check all required system files (should be ok on an XP, never know if anything got overwritten unnoticed) and you have all the SPs?
    Is it XP Pro or Home?
    TDS does not need to act as a server unless you want it to, but i don't think this is the problem here.

Did not see nothing about that error in google either, only a message i couldn't access in no way properly where i saw the words it could be related to an I/O device but hard to say what exactly without reading the message properly; might be very different and not related to your problem at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  5. whpromo

Its XP Home. And yes, I did check for all required files. Went through these forums searching for info as well trying to spot the same or similar problem.

And I am aware of the "run as" command, which has already been tried. I realize you are trying to be thorough, helps narrow it down. So far everything you've mentioned I've checked into. Except for contacting the DiamondCS techs. I was hoping someone ehere had already run across this and had a solution.

P.S. I realize TDS is not supposed to need to be a server. However, I did that just to be certain that ZA wasn't interfering with anything. I've tried as many things I could think of in a process of elimination. I'm a certified QA Engineer, so I tend to think that way.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  6. whpromo

I have asked tech support for help on my issue over 12 hours ago. I am not sure what time zone they are in, and have yet to hear back form them. Anyone have any idea on how long it takes for them to at least acknowledge an email sent to them?

I am a licensed user...well I purchased a license, have yet to be able to use it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Normally they're really fast with either emails and forums replies; DiamondCS is in Perth, so another timezone, almost 18:30 there this moment. Hope you get it soon.
    Is that same error there each time again and only when starting TDS?

8. whpromo

It is only there when I attempt to start TDS. I have had the Task Manager open looking at the process start, then fail and the error dialog come up. I think the dialog may be generated by TDS, the dialog box shows TDS in the top window bar when it pops up.

And yes it comes up each time.

Thanks for the reply.

DW

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

10. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi there,
    We've never encountered that error or had any other reports of it before, and we have a lot of customers running TDS-3 on various flavours of XP so this is a strange one. Unfortunately I can't elaborate on the problem at the moment until we do some further testing to try and work out what might be happening, but as it's currently 11:30pm here in Perth it's too late tonight, but we'll have a look at that in the morning and report back here then. Thankyou for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
    Wayne

11. whpromo

I can understand that you may not have seen it before. I'm not familiar with this error myself. However, it must be looking for a service to start up, I would imagine a system service that I may have shut off through the admin tools as it was not being used. However since I do not know what system services your program might be trying to use, I really can't tell if this is even the case.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks Rrobyn for that link, and Wayne for dropping in, looking forward to more.
    With the error message i google around and found among others this page; the victim has a win2000 system, but some steps might be equal.
    http://www.faqshop.com/misc/default.htm?http://www.faqshop.com/misc/bits/err 53.htm
    At least i think there might be some more in your event log?

Did you try to start TDS as a service or as a normal process? Do the latter, not as a service.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  13. Wayne - DiamondCS

Would you please run Sysinternals' FileMon (www.sysinternals.com) and record the disk activity when you load TDS-3? This should help isolate where the problem may be occurring, and which (if any) service it's looking for. Please email the FileMon logfile to wayne@diamondcs.com.au

Thanks,
    Wayne

14. whpromo

Wayne,
    I have emailed the info you asked for twice now and have yet to received a reply. I have also sent three messages to the support@diamondcs.com.au with no reply. This has been over 6 weeks now, and the program still will not run. That alone is very disappointing, especially as I've had a banner for TDS on my main site for over 2 years. I'd like a reply post haste with either a solution that helps fix it or how to go about getting a refund.

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Could be something was wrong with the mailservers with attachments?
    Anyway, the DiamondCs team checks the forums very frequently so might really be some error with the mailserver.
    DiamondCS is alerted once more, so please hold on a little more.
    Pity you didn't write here in the meantime too!

16. whpromo

Not all emails had attachments. And I've never received a bounce message of any kind.

Not sure why you are saying "Pity you didn't write here in the meantime too!". I am writing now and trying to get an amicable resolution. I had started this topic, and was asked to communicate by email, so I complied. Not sure that you mean to, but your statement could be construed as implying that I have done something wrong. That simply is not the case.

17. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, whpromo

I do not think Jooske is implying that.

Jooske was saying the obvious as you had not posted back.

Jooske or anybody else was not to know you was asked to deal with it by email.

As you had to stated that in a previous post.

Many People Post a question and do not follow them up.

With Regards,
    TheQoest. :cool:

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, In many cases, once the user has started a thread and it goes dead, well over a month in this case, we assume that the user has fixed it themselves or had an adequate reply from the vendor (DCS).
    From experience it would be very unusual for DCS not to reply promptly to emailed requests, so I cannot guess what has happened in this case -
    Hopefully DCS will reply soon.

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Exactly. 15 April Wayne's last posting and your visible reaction here 26 May -- we all thinking and searching our hearts out trying to help you and then we see nothing from you anymore.
    Hoped you would have posted something like "sent the logs you asked today" or "sent them a week ago and hope you received them", anything, so at DCS they would have known if anything went wrong with the mailserver overthere. Give a life sign and continue the discussion. Which you do now and i'm really disappointed it was not solved in the meantime.
    Hope you're able to create the logs; you could post them here in an attachment to your posting, so you know they are seen. Whatever you like best.

that's the effect with failing mailservers / filters, they don't bounce, mail just disappears.

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Please resend emails to support@diamondcs.com.au , I will ensure we get a reply to you somehow. With the amount of "returned mail" viruses I delete every day, its possible a REAL returned mail got deleted and I apologise for this.

We have a few various problems with email these days, and its all because of all the infected machines out there flooding everyone with masses of unwanted email spam/viruses :mad:

21. Wayne - DiamondCS

Which email address did you send the logs to?

22. whpromo

I apologize for the long delays in reply. I've been working steadily for the past two months 16 hour days on some rather large, time critical projects, and its been difficult to break away, even for personal breaks.

I had to have something that worked right away, so I uninstalled TDS and installed another product. So far, its been working. I anticipate getting time to reinstall TDS later this month. I will have time to test and get fresh logs to send if need be. The email I have been sending to are support@diamondcs.com.au & wayne@diamondcs.com.au . No bounces or receipts returned at any time (Sent them three times.)

You say you've had a problem with Spam. Do you subscribe to a blacklist perhaps? One of our servers got on a blacklist some time ago, around January, because of a user. They were kicked off the server, and I thought we had the blacklist thing straightened out.

I'll be back, just may be a few days. I am subscribed to this thread.

23. MichaelP

MichaelP Guest

I have had the very same error when trying to load the demo version of TDS on my XP Home machine, Ive tried turning KAV of and running in safe mode but it still will just take about five seconds then show this error.

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/521/error1.jpg

Are what i found when ivestigating further.

TDS-3.lnk BUFFER OVERFLOW FileFsVolumeInformation
    TDS-3.lnk BUFFER OVERFLOW FileAllInformation

24. MichaelP

MichaelP Guest

I today uninstalled KAV and deleted all traces thinking that it was the problem, Then i tried reinstalling TDS and but the error message below still surfaces.

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

There is no need to allow TDS to run as a server, only when you want to test some emulation functions occasionally.
    The other thing is don't make TDS running as a service, as it's not created for that, just as a normal application.
    Does that help here?

You did have all scanners off during the install i hope?
    KAV and most scanners ever heard of run fine with TDS. So there is absolutely no need to uninstall KAV at all. It is one of the recommended combinations because we know it runs fine, unless they changed something recently, but then more people would complain about the same.

You did not have any kind of registry protection active when installing TDS? RegProtection, RegRun, any other program or setting from another program?
    Would love to know if both of you have something equal as this has not showed up in all those years with so many thousands of users everywhere.

There are XP systems on which it is even better to close the firewall temporary when installing other software, while on thousands of other systems that is no issue at all; this is all individual.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.