Inspiron 1545 sleep problem.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Preston556, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preston556

Preston556 Registered Member

Hello, I'm fairly sure the answer lies on this site somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Let me apologize in advance. I also have already used google with no luck. I would love to just go out and buy another, but my field of expertise is in 3d art, the things inside the computer are a little more costly than I'd like. Ahem, anyhoo: About a week ago, I had run into a spot. I had smashed my laptop monitor with a toaster in my sleep (no lie). Thanks to VGA, I can project to another monitor. I use this machine with the lid closed for the most part until my new monitor arrives. Over the last couple days, my laptop has been randomly going to sleep, and the most recent time, the screen didn't turn back on (the external projecter. The laptops broken screen was still displaying things, I just couldn't tell what). I know it was sleeping, for when I typed something I heard the sound it makes when the keys can't function in a certain area. The laptop is in an area of good ventilation, hard surfaces and no blocks. I noticed it also started in the same day I installed a facial recognition system called FastAccess. I don't know what's wrong, it just randomly has gone to sleep for absolutely no reason, while I'm using it and keeping it active. Does it have anything to do with the monitor being broken? Or possibly maybe it overheats when the lid is closed? Maybe the software I installed has done some sort of damage? Does it have anything to do with Windows7?Maybe my Gpu is failing, which I've read in situations LIKE mine, is a possible situation. I don't know where the GPU is located in a computer honestly, I heard it's on a video card. Unfortunately, my video card was crafted onto the mother board, it can't be replaced. I'm sorry to unload all of this on you, but I don't want to spend huge amounts of cash with Dell just to find out if I uninstalled something it would work properly.
    Thanks again!
    ~Preston

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

In the detective biz, that's called 'a clue'. ;)

Uninstall Fast Access, see if that fixes the problem. Also check the Event Viewer for any related error messages.
    You can always reinstall Fast Access if that turns out to not be the problem.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Check power options? o_O

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

And here I thought flying toasters was an old Windows 95 screen saver! ;)

I am surprised it ever stayed running with the lid closed - most (actually, I assumed all) notebooks automatically go into sleep or hibernate mode when you close the lid - unless connected to a docking station. Have you tried just leaving it ajar? This might also help to allow some heat that radiates up through the keyboard to escape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.