insert disc message, overwrite problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Achim Wolf, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achim Wolf

Achim Wolf Registered Member

I have installed TI 9 and plant a task for a backup at night every workday on dvd-ram. When I came into office this morning I got a message to isert a disk.
    How can I disable this to make the software run at night?

If a do increm. backups they are added to the existing backups. How can I make the software overwriting the old backups?

Thanks for answers,

Achim Wolf

2. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

Go to tools/options/default backup options/additional setting

Make sure "ask for first media" is NOT ticked.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Achim Wolf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please note that the current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. We may recommend you to install a UDF-packet DVD-writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

Please also note that DVD-R disks are not supported in Acronis True Image. We may recommend you to use DVD-RW and DVD+R(W) discs instead.
    DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

Please also read the information about writing to DVDs in our FAQ: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#27

We will certainly implement direct DVD recording in Acronis True Image in the future.

Yes, as Tatou said, you can choose whether to display the Insert First Media prompt when backing up to removable media or not. With the default setting, backing up to removable media may be impossible if the user is away, because the program will wait for pressing OK in the prompt box. Therefore, you should disable the prompt when scheduling a backup to removable media. Then, if the removable media is available (for example, CD-R/RW inserted) the task can run unattended. Additional information can be found in Chapter 5.3 "Setting backup options" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User Guide.

Please note that if this case we may recommend you to use pre/post commands of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in order to delete unnecessary backup files. For example, you can specify commands or create a batch file to be automatically executed before incremental backup creation. Additional information can be found in Chapter 5.3.3 "Pre/post commands" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User Guide.

Please find the information about batch file in the articles below:

http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/batch.mspx?mfr=true
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/tips/techrep/batchtr.mspx?mfr=true

Please also not that to restore data from the incremental backup, you must have all previous incremental backup files and the initial full backup. If any of successive backups is missing, restoration is impossible. To restore data from a differential backup, you must have the initial full backup as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. Jools

Jools Registered Member

This may seem unrelated, but with regards to putting TI images onto a UDF DVD. The confusing issue is recovering the image(s) from UDF. From what I can understand, I am required to install either DirectCD or InCD to format DVD-/+RW disc for Packet Writing. If in the future, I need to restore my image(s) from UDF disc, will TI Bootable Rescue Disk read UDF disc without installing DirectCD or InCD (since its not possible).

Because inorder to restore image(s) from UDF disc that is only readable when DirectCD or InCD is installed. That would mean I will have to install the minimum software, an OS, TI and DirectCD / InCD.

Is that right?

Regards,

Julian.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Julian,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that there is no need to have any UDF packet DVD writing software installed in order to be able to restore the image saved to the UDF formatted DVDs using Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD.

The only thing you should be aware of is that UDF versions higher than 2.01 are not yet supported in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using Acronis Startup Recovery Manager or 'Full' version of Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.