Information arms race: Tor redesigns software to thwart Iran's DPI

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by nightrace, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-cracks-down-on-web-dissident-technology.html

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Good for the Tor developers. They seem to be singlehandedly taking on the cause of free internet anonymity. I hope the project continues going strong. I also which there were some other free option to compete with it.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. I no more

I no more Registered Member

That's a good link. Thanks.

I still stand behind my statement. I used the term "free" because I didn't want to get into a whole debate over paid VPN services, which by and large aren't anonymous. We have enough of those threads here.

Regarding free VPNs, they aren't anonymous either (by and large). There's one entity running the servers, and they can compromise your identity if they want to or are compelled. Free VPNs probably offer less anonymity than paid VPNs.

JonDo is probably the closest to Tor, but the last time I checked, all the servers were in Germany. And the source code was modified a long time ago to allow law enforcement to uncover someone's identity. Some people call it a back door, and others object to that term (since they openly acknowledge it).

Tor is in a class of its own, and there's no close second.

Edit: I looked at the site you linked to again. The ratings are not well thought out. Ratings that bad make me question the site.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.