INFO: F-Prot 6.0.4.0 Beta Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Inspector Clouseau, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

F-PROT Antivirus for Windows, version 6.0.4.0, has been released as public
    beta. The download is accessible at http://www.f-prot.com/download/ (click on
    "BETA download section").

This website currently provides tech support info and a download link, along
    with disclaimers and known issues list. There is also a bug report / feedback
    form.

Time for a beer in a pub now :D

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thank you sir. Enjoy the pub. :D

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

My dear Inspector, thank you for the good news. :D

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

A list with the new features would be nice... ;)

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Is F-Prot suppose to scan on write? I noticed using Firefox that I am able to successfully download all the eicar files into a folder without being detected until I click on them for on access.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

perhaps it's due to the fact it hasn't any HTTP scanner. ;)

Btw, good info IC! Are there any improvements from the leaked version? :D

7. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

Finally. Thank you, everyone at FRISK Software.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

By the way, if you happen to have installed the "early" version, the standard update seems to have handled updating to the program official release version.

Blue

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing fprot version3.16f for a while now and it works great. I uninstalled ver 3.16f and cleaned the remenants out and I installed the beta 6 and it immediatly locked up my comp. It repeated this during four reboots. Looks as if i won't be useing the beta 6. I cleaned the beta out of the comp and reinstalled the released version 3.16f again and it is back to working just fine.

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Running very smooth here, looks great, this is one of the scanners which are beautiful with just "Out of the box" configuration! Beautiful, just in one word. I'm just very sorry, that it only scans Outlook mail!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  11. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

In the "uncensored" forum I have commented on a putative flaw which allows malware to effectively exclude itself from being scanned by F-Prot and which will hopefully be fixed in the final version. (This should be quite easy.) The problem is the exclusion feature in connection with the FPAVServer service which is not sufficiently protected against manipulations. Moreover, I have complained about my life in general and how badly and arrogantly AV/AT developers treat me :'(

So don't take that too serious. :D

Again, I cannot directly link to this topic because such topic contains a terribly dangerous link to an Eicar test virus. But I'm sure that the relevant people will find it.

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

it looks to me the Fprot 6 has a new logo next to it. I honestly hope they could have some UI update on their webpage as well.

Anyway time to download and test :D

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

F-Prot only scans Outlook e-mail? Is that true? It doesn't scan Outlook Express?

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The GUI is great!

But, I thought it rather "cheeky" of Frisk to tell me I need to upgrade to XP Pro SP2. I'm trialing this on a VMWare machine that has XP Pro SP1. I have no intention of upgrading this machine to SP2.

Plus, this is very buggy. I tried clicking on Quarantine and got an error over and over. I had to use Task Manager to kill F-Prot. It still is running in the systray with no change in the icon yet it is actually dead. The icon should indicate that...maybe it will in the next beta. I tried again clicking on Quarantine in the GUI and again had to kill it from Task Manager to stop the error.

I also don't think it should run a full scan immediately after it is installed and the computer is rebooted. I have Mozilla products on the computer and I read in the notes that it has a problem with .jar files and they should be excluded but how can I do that when it runs a scan automatically? I aborted it but it shouldn't have run without my permission in the first place. Plus, default settings are to automatically get rid of viruses. I hate that and would have been upset if it had deleted a pet virus without asking me first especially since I can't access Quarantine to get it back (I assume it puts any thing it deletes in quarantine).

Nonetheless, it looks really neat and I just won't click on Quarantine again. :D

Attached Files:

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Here's the error I get when clicking on Quarantine.

Attached Files:

16. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

,.-

I tried your SuperEicar test.bat, after giving it permission to run via Script Defender, but nothing happened, apart from this

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1935/set19xv.png

Guess it must be because i'm on 98SE, so immune from things like this ?

StevieO

17. AshG

AshG Registered Member

So far, so good for me. I've not had any issues. Scan is quick, memory usage isn't NOD level but it's still quite nice. I haven't noticed any slowdowns in boot time or general activities except while I'm running a scan; even then, the performance drop isn't crippling.

I checked out the licensing fees for corporations while downloading. At the price point, it's a heckuva lot more attractive than what my school system is paying for AVG (and a lot easier to use, from the few hours I've spent tonight). Now to convince the tech administrator....

18. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

installation done with no problem at all but i cant get trial subscription :( the interface & setting look simple. good for beginner but i think advanced user like more complex settings. :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  19. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Yes,I confirm this.
    I get the same error when clicking on Backup.

Fill your name and e-mail address.

Attached Files:

20. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

@StevieO

"I tried your SuperEicar test.bat, after giving it permission to run via Script Defender, but nothing happened, apart from this"

Can you please open F-Prot and check whether any .com files are excluded from being scanned? If yes: it worked. If not: do you have a folder called C:\"Dokumente und Einstellungen"\"All Users"\"Anwendungsdaten"\"FRISK Software"\"F-PROT Antivirus for Windows"\? If you use a different folder you need to correspondingly amend the batch file called test.bat (i.e., I have not localized the batch file for each and every OS/local version).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  21. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Thank you Inspector for your hard work in providing the long awaited beta! It seems as you are the LIGHT with their development. God of F-Prot? I bet you are. Ever since you moved to Frisk, it has gotten more attention here at the forum. :)

Have just installed the beta and currently scanning My Computer. As far as the trial subscription, I entered my full name and email address during the installation process but after reboot, it prompt an error window when trying to verify with the F-Prot server. Is there a correct way in obtaining the beta subscription? I want the updates to be working. Thank you again Inspector!! :)

22. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

ive already filled name and email but fprot said "failed to get trial key, please try again" my pc uses proxy and ive already set it. o_O!!!!

23. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Subscription "trial" key was obtained after figuring this out in the F-Prot's UPDATE module. Updates are now working fine. :)

24. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Anybody knows how can I open a Quarantine and restore all items?:(

25. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

,.-

Just to let you know, i'm not using F-Prot AV, but on here http://illusivesecurity.pytalhost.com/viewtopic.php?t=150&sid=5d824130018fe0737706098672261e9c you are talking in general terms about AV. Quote "Example: The following Eicar virus called SuperEicar ( hxxp://rapidshare.de/files/23010247/SuperEicar.exe.html ) does the following. A self-extracting .rar archive copies several files to the c: directory. Thereafter, start.vbs is started which silently starts test.bat." which then mentions F-Prot. I thought that this file could maybe work on other AV's too, so that's why i tried it. It's now apparant that it appears to only work on F-Prot, and i was mistaken, so sorry for any confusion there.

On reboot today one of my security apps Watcher found all these new files in C: which i've isolated into a new folder ready for deletion, and i presume they all come from your App !

eicar.exe
    exclusions.xml
    exclusions.xml.csum
    start.vbs
    test.bat
    WAIT.exe

The eicar.exe is detected by my AV Bitdefender.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.