Infineon TPM security platform

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I've just bought a new laptop which came with Vista Ultimate. Well, there are millions of little things to learn about Vista (couldn't get XP unfortunately), and I need some info about this Infineon TPM.

For what I understand it is really a security tool for administrators and networked computers, it loads on the tray with every start and wants to be initialized.

Questions: Is it worth having on a single computer? If it is, what exactly can I do with it?

It seems to have a hardware chip. Would uninstalling be problematic?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have Dell Latitude D820 with TPM (Broadcom manufactured) chip. I don't use that and I have disabled that via BIOS. Dell offer Wave System (http://www.wavesys.com/) program called EMBASSY Trust Suite. I can use fingerprint reader with it, protect files and so on. I have also smart card reader which I thought can be used with that also. Not sure...

After all... I don't use TPM, Fingerprint reader or Smart Card. Too much hashle to me :D

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My chip is also disabled. The point is whether the program is worth having for any reasons...

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Vista built-in encryption (BitLocker)
    Trusted Platform Module

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Lucas,

basically one can encrypt the laptop drive and keep the the key stored in a chip.
    It seems to be very safe in terms of protecting data.

Would you say is it worth going through the procedure (I don't have any skeleton in the closet), as any encryption process may lock the computer to the user as well.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If you don't have anything sensitive, don't use encryption. Only you can asses the risks and gains involved with encryption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.