Incremental backup - which DVD type?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter Pan, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Pan

Peter Pan Registered Member

For incremental backups on DVD I assume I need DVD-RW?

I use to do multisessions with Nero on CD-R. But a first test showed the second (incremental) backup with True Image 9 on a DVD-R didn't work.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Peter Pan,

Are you using TI 9.0 Home 3633 or later? If so, then you can use either DVD R or RW media. However, do not select the option to also Validate the image as part of its creation as there is a known problem with this. Just validate the DVD image after it's created as a separate task using the Backup Archive Validation Wizard.

When validating or restoring a multi-disk spanned image you need to insert the last disk first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes. Note - TI refers to each .tib file as a "Volume". Therefore, if your "Full" image spanned two DVDs then Volume 2 would be on the 2nd disk. If you then created an "Incremental" that spanned the 2nd disk and an additional 3rd disk then Volume 3 would be on the 2nd DVD whilst Volume 4 would be be on the 3rd. Hope that makes sense :blink: :).

Regards

3. Peter Pan

With some of the notebooks of my students when they want to write an image or a backup on a DVD-R they get an error message (I try to translate):

E00040004 Data medium ("Datenträger) is full. Maybe the data medium has a bad quality.

Warning 100 11 (0x64000B)
    8 Information 4 4 (0x40004) Data medium is full. (0x4004) Tag = 0x C4AB60A831327E82

Others' process works right even with DVD-R.

4. Peter Pan

Silence. No hear from support also. I'm surprised I didn't even get a confirmation or ticket from them.

No idea? Are there known problems with incremental backups from Dell Laptops and Philips DVD-drives on DVD-R? Release 9, Bulid 3.694, Windows XP SP 2.

When I call Dell support they will problably asked me if I have checked software problems deriving from Acronis True Image.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello again Peter Pan,

It's hard to say why you are getting the reported errors. I have successfully created incremental images to previously created full images on both DVD-R and DVD+R (Verbatim 16X certified).

Perhaps some other Windows application is getting in the way (e.g. Nero InCD)? In which case, boot into TI from the Acronis rescue CD (Full mode) and try creating the incremental image from there.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.