Incomplete Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rustsatz, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustsatz

rustsatz Registered Member

Weeks ago I rebuilt my PC with Vista Ultimate x64 and True Image Home 11 and then made a full image backup with True Image Home 11. I now restored my PC back to that 'backup'. However, my desktop (and certain other aspects of my machine) have not been restored back to my original full image rebuild. Why does this happen and how might I set up my next backup to restore my machine to the 'exact' state it was THEN?

Thanks so much for your time.

2. rustsatz

I've gone back through the process but I see no other 'options' to select to resolve this issue. Any help?

Thanks!

3. rustsatz

Any helpo_O

4. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

Are you sure about the state of your machine at the time you did the image backup? Your desktop should look the same as it did at backup time, there's no option to 'partially restore' an image (unless you do file-by-file, but that's a different process). If the image restore process was successful, then it should match the state of your machine at the time the image was captured.

I assume the partition size was the same for both the backup and restore processes since you didn't mention anything about resizing partitions in your post.

5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

- What aspects concretely?
    - What are the concrete difference?

6. rustsatz

Thanks for getting back with my, Guys!

I am absolutely certain of the state of the machine before I backed it up. My desktop still has a few .txt files that I left there before I restored to my original image. I also ran a few modules of WinUtilities 6.2 before I tried the restore. I had WinUtilities delete duplicate files that I wasn't aware of. So I restored to my original image, yet those files (Vista oem wallpaper) are still not there. I am quite certain other files are missing as well but I have not stumbled upon them yet. Also, there are invalid shortcuts in my Start menu to programs that are not there (obvious because of the restored image).

I do appreciate your time.

Kyle

7. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I dont use Vista 64 but it would be interesting to know if you did a full backup from Windows or from a boot disk. I only do Full backups from a boot disk as this means nothing is changing on the system.

8. rustsatz

Hey Jehosophat, the image I am referring to was initiated from Windows. I don't want to rebuild the drive again (from scratch) not knowing if I can count on the restore. For what it's worth, I've had this happen on 32bit images as well. Again, I don't know of anything else I can do (options wise) during the setup stage to cure my ills?!?!?

9. MrMorse

@rustsatz

In the Ti-dialog:
    1. did you choose "My Computer"? Or "My data"?
    2. did you choose the whole disk or 'only' a partition?
    (if a partition only, then clarify that the files you are missing were on this special partition)
    3. The next dialog is where you can define exceptions. Did you define exceptions?

10. rustsatz

I chose 'My Computer'; 'partition'; and the missing files were on that particular partition. I defined no exceptions.

I try to keep my images as simple as possible. I rebuild a machine with a fresh OS install and then update the OS via the web. I also update all drivers. I then run True Image Home 11 to establish a 'base install' image I can then add to. I do this to a 200GB partition of a 320GB HDD. I restore it to the same 200GB partition.

Thanks for helping, MrMorse!

11. MrMorse

@rustsatz

It's the same workflow that I prefer.
    But I create an Ti11-Image generally using the rescue-CD.

What build of Ti11 do you have? 8105?

12. rustsatz

@MrMorse... I am using 8101

13. MrMorse

ok, that is the current English version (8105 is the German edition).

Then I have no more idea what can help you.
    I have Ti11/8105 and no problem with losing files or data.

The only difference I see is, that you use Vista64.
    I have a test-PC with Vista64 Home Premium.
    I'll do a test with it and let you know...

14. rustsatz

I still haven't resolved this issue going through the Windows GUI. However, I do get a quality 'restore' going through the rescue disk.

Why is that?

15. MrMorse

This question I cannot answer.

But:
    I (for myself) don't do any backup or restore under a running Windows system.
    I always use the rescue-CD.

And this is again an evidence to do it so.
    Under a running Windows the TI-actions (can) become unreliable.

BTW:
    Is it a sustainable solution for you to use the rescue-CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.