Incomplete Restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hark, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hark

Hark Registered Member

Hi, just bought the Acronis True Image 9.0 Workstation. Installation went fine and and I did a backup. But when restoring it, the backup files are there, but the Windows Partition did not boot.

The config is this:

One Disk, three primary partitions, one extended (with 1 logical partition in it).
    C: Windows XP (Standard)
    D: Windows Vista
    E: Windows XP (Development)
    H: the data partition

I'd bootet the XP on the C Partition, installed TI 9 and started a partition backup of E to a backup file on H.

Then I changed some filenames and wanted to test the restore.
    So I restored the backup file to Partition E:

Unfortunately, the XP Installation on E: is now not working anymore.
    It boots, then the screen gets blue and the Windows Logo is showing up.
    Before the logo usually moves up and the userlist should appear, it stalls.

What have I done wrong? I already tried to find an answer in the previous posts in this forum or the FAQ, but I was unable to find any hint.

Is it impossible to backup a different Installation than the one I booted from?

Thanks
    Hark

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hark,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Actually, you have performed all the operations correctly and the operating system should be bootable as usual.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Hark

Hark Registered Member

Hello Kirill,

the failure was in front of the computer ;-)

Actually by creating the extended partition with the logical drive the installation on E went to F (BIOS-wise). Therefore it did not boot completely, because at the moment the mount points are set it fails. This was my mistake. Windows "E" wouldn't had boot up before any backup/restore.

The mistake was creating the H partition from the running "C" Windows, not the "E" Windows so it was unexpected for it. For the BIOS now the "H" drive was only "H" on the Windows running on "C", but it is "D" for the Windows on "E".

I repaired the windows installation on "E" and corrected the mount points and done a full backup / restore twice without any problem.

Nice product, I am glad I bought it.

Sorry for ringing wrong alarms.

Best

Hark

p.s. I dream of computer systems without drive letters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.