In XP Home, why can't you schedule tasks if NOD is enabled?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ratchet, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

The schedule wizard locks up unless you disable NOD. ekrn shows 99 CPU!

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just created 2 tasks while observing with Sysinternals ProcMon and ekrn acted normal, one difference from your setup being I'm XP Pro.

Having said that, at what step of the wizard does it appear to consuming so much ?

3. ratchet

As soon as the Wizard displays! I've tried to run it several times over the last six to nine months and my PC freezes. So tonight I start the wizard and sure enough the PC freezes. I open TM (and even that took several tries) to try and find the process that schedules so I can stop it, when I noticed ekrn.exe at 99%. I disable NOD, restart the Wizard and it worked fine. I'd been attributing it to some reg entry or driver I must have accidentally removed but apparently not.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

By watching earlier with ProcMon and as scheduler was compiling a list of items to choose from, I noticed that ekrn became very attached with an Uninstall.exe for UltraCompare. It bothered with it so much that it created .tmp file, read the file some more, added more to the tmp file, finally closing that file and moved on to another file. In fact there were other uninstall.exe files that it spent extra amount of time on.

I can only suggest checking that your C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder is not to full or run ProcMon filtering only on ekrn.exe and it should show you which file is causing the most interest to ekrn.

Bubba

5. ratchet

Interesting and thank you for the replies.

6. ratchet

Another point worth mentioning! I had installed this little app earlier this evening. By default its set to run every 30 minutes. So I open the scheduler and it was listed and I changed it to run every couple of hours. I assumed Task Scheduler had begun working (granted, I didn't have to use the wizard), that is why I attempted to schedule System Restores. It apparently has something to do with the wizard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.