IMON redundant when using encrypted anonymous proxies ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Defenestration, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I sometimes use an encrypted anonymous proxy where all the traffic is encrypted between my machine and the proxy. I'm guessing IMON would not come into play here because it would only see encrypted data. Instead I would be relying on AMON to "save" me if need be.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, but just wanted to double check ?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct ;) :D

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If your proxy connection is directly from the browser (i.e. you are using HTTPS encryption) then this is true. If you are using a proxy client (like JAP or Tor) then IMON should still be able to scan the non-encrypted traffic between the proxy client and the browser.

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have it set-up so that the browser talks to Proxomitron, which in turn talks the the Anonymizer Total Net Shield Proxy. The Total Net Shield Proxy encrypts/decrypts all the internet traffic to/from the PC.

Because IMON is embedded at the WinSOCK level, which the TotalNet Shield proxy is above (in the protocol stack), then IMON will only see encrypted traffic, and so cannot filter it.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Just a reminder if you are using Sygate's firewall you should switch firewalls since you are using a proxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.