IMON Higher Compatibilty\Efficiency differences

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by COSMO26, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

While we're working out an answer to the "Why" of Apps changing themselves can someone clarify IF (1) there are some "HTTP Browser-Program pairs" that SHOULD be Red (i.e. they perform better as Red) Versus "a Separate" issue that (2) Apps that should be Green are "being Wrongly changed" to Red. Qualified moderators (BS incl'd) have suggested Red is proper in some cases, so this seems like TWO different questions needing answers, and I'm afraid we'll get stuck on only one issue's solution. Thanks as always!

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello COSMO26,

I have taken the liberty to move your particular IMON question away from the IMON resetting issue since they are totally two separate issues and best suited for two separate discussions.

Having said that....I'd suggest taking a good close read of this thread and in particular this post and for sure this post. They both give a very good explanation in regards to the two modes....Passive(Higher Compatibility) and Active(Higher Efficiency). Once you have done so....do ask any further questions you may have Please.

Bubba

3. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Higher Efficency vs. Higher Compatibility in IMON

I'm running 2.70.23 with Windows XP Pro SP2. I mostly use Firefox 1.5.0.9 as my browser.

I've had issues recently, mostly with streaming video, where the download progress of larger files are displayed by IMON, but they appear frozen and they never complete or disappear.

I believe the download progress is displaying because I switched most of my HTTP client compatibility settings to higher efficiency.

I've read that streaming programs should be set to higher compatibility.

There are many entries under HTTP client compatibility settings. Firefox.exe, for example shows up as a program for many browsers. NSPlayer and Windows Media Player both have multiple programs associated with them as well. This is a bit confusing, and it is hard to know what options to set.

So my questions are:

1. Can I cancel these frozen downloads somehow?

2. Is the default in NOD32 to have all HTTP client compatibility entries at higher compatibility?

3. Why are some entries reset to higher comatibility even when I manually set them to higher efficiency? For example Windows Media Player10 wmplayer.exe.

4. Which entries exactly should be set to higher compatibility to ensure proper streaming operation?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Re: Higher Efficency vs. Higher Compatibility in IMON

1. Yes, just right click the download progress window that pops up and select 'terminate download'.
    2. Yes, but you can change them so it works best for you. Applications that streams content (videos, music etc.) should always be set to higher compatibility.
    3. No idea, some folks (me included) is experiencing that very issue for no reason. Possibly a bug.
    4. Anything with nsplayer in it (under the user agent list) and other applications you use to stream content with.

5. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Thanks Brian.

This is where I believe the NOD32 user interface is unecessarily complex for the average computer person.

There should probably be an advanced configuration for these types of settings, hidden from normal use.

I am fairly computer proficient, yet I have no idea which of the programs should be set at higher efficiency or higher compatibility.

It would be nice if BlackSpear or someone at Eset posted a recommended list of settings for all popular programs. Or at least which ones should stay at Higher Compatibility. Can someone post their list?

A nice-to-have feature for NOD32 would be a 'Set to Default' button that reset your settings within a screen to default.

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I agree, NOD's interface takes a little longer to master than most AV's - But once you get to know it, you'll soon find out that it's actually a very efficient interface with no unnecessary blinking graphics etc...

NOD32 V3 however, will have a standard and advanced mode to choose from, so it'll be good for all of us ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.