IMON Append

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by lighterman, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lighterman

lighterman Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have just installed a trial version of nod32 and have noticed the following. With the imon setup under append tag msg I have "ALL emails" selected. Now when I send a test email to myself or to my other pop3 account that is setup on my machine I get the "msg checked by nod32" etc. However when I send a test to my wife's email or my friend it does not show at the bottom. My friend just put me onto nod and when I get an email from him it shows however after telling him my problem he sent himself an email to his second computer and it doesn't show on his but it shows on mine. Any suggestions??

2. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

NOD only appends messages to emails received by the POP3 protocol, and therefore checked by IMON. It doesn't append messages to outgoing emails since they are normally sent by a different protocol. The usefulness of such messages in outgoing email is debatable anyway. Would you trust a received attachment to be clean purely because the sender inserted such a message? I regularly receive infected emails containing messages purporting to show that the email has been checked and verified virus free.

AMON does however check any files that you attempt to insert into outgoing email in real time, and will alert you if you try to open an infected file.

You might like to look here for tips on optimising NOD's settings:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

3. lighterman

I understand, however it doesn't explain why when I send my mate who has nod an email why it doesn't show on the bottom of the email when he opens it o_O

4. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

It will depend on

1) The transport mechanism used by your friend to receive email
    2) His NOD settings

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Lighterman, welcome to Wilders. See if the following screen shot helps.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

6. lighterman

Thats exactly what my settings are

7. Blackspear

Sorry Lighterman, after rereading your post, it is clear that you are looking for outbound email message tagging, this is not supported by Nod32. Nod32 tags ONLY incoming email using the POP3 protocol.

Hope this helps...

8. lighterman

Yes I accept that. My last post asked why doesn't the tag show on my friends pc who is using Nod32 to scan his IN coming mail

9. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

How are ho settings??

Ruben

10. lighterman

I am still new to nod32, what are the ho settings?

11. Blackspear

A spelling mistake, it's meant to read:

What are his settings, are they the same as the screen shot?

12. lighterman

Yes they are. He helped me setup over the phone.

13. Blackspear

Is he using the commercial paid version, or the trial version?

Can you get him to post in this thread, rather than try to fix things via third party?

I would suggest to him the following:

Download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com using his Username and Password.

Uninstall the current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that he downloaded above.

14. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

How does your friend receive his email? Is it via POP3, or other method, e.g. webmail? Is he using a third party mail app such as gmail? Does he have any third party apps intervening in his mail delivery, such as mailwashers, spam filters etc?

It might be prudent to find that out before he goes to the trouble of deleting and re-installing NOD :)

15. epoxpro

epoxpro Registered Member

Hi there

I'm the friend who lighternman is referring to and I am using a trial version of NOD32 on a Win98SE system, that had NAV 2003 installed.

NAV was un-installed using the conventional method and a cleanup done of all traces of NAV before downloading and installing NOD which has 18 days to run before the trial expires.

My settings are correct as per the previous post by Blackspear and I am using POP3 for incoming mail and SMPT for outgoing. Yes I do use Mailwasher, but only to purge any spam, then I open OE to accept what I haven't deleted.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers

I posted a similar question myself and then replied by making reference to this post.

16. Blackspear

Hi Epoxpro, I think your issue has something to do with Mailwasher, though I'm not certain, as such I have sent an email to Eset and asked for further assistance.

17. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Indeed, although I personally have no knowledge of exactly how Mailwasher works, a search for the term "Mailwasher" in this forum reveals a number of posts which seem to indicate problems between IMON and Mailwasher.

If Mailwasher intervenes directly on the POP3 port (110) it maybe that it "diverts" the emails before IMON would normally scan them.

18. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

How bizarre......how bizarre!

Could Mr. epoxpro and Mr. lighterman check the IMON status window? In the Control Centre, go to the IMON department and then you'll have a right hand window, called the Staus window. There you'll see "Number of files:"...
    Scanned: 100 (?)
    Infected: 25 (?)
    Cleaned: 2 (?)

Make a note of the number of scanned files and send each other a message or send one to yourself. If one message arrives, the number of scanned files will raise to 101 (following the example numbers I've written). If it stays at 100 (or whatever) then something is wrong because IMON ain't scannin' them there files!

If this is the case, just looking back at Blackspear's screenshot, have you got "Enable email checking" ticked?

Bandicoot. :p

19. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Just a FYI. I use mailwasher and it causes NO conflicts with IMON or anything else on Nod32. It remotely checks the email on the ISP server.(It allows you to see the emails on the server). There you can delete any spam or other unwanted messages. It does not download any email to your computer, therefore I don't see how it could conflict with Nod32.

20. epoxpro

I agree. I've used Mailwasher for ages and it doesn't seem to cause any conflicts with any other programs. I'm only a newbie user of NOD but I only open Mailwasher to check what mail I have, delete any spam and then open OE to retrieve what's left. It's never left running in the background.

I'll try the suggestion earlier of a file count.

Cheers

EDIT: File count seems OK as well o_O

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  21. epoxpro

Hi there all

I beleive I've found out what is happening and as silly as it sounds after a bit of "experimenting" I'm fairly sure it's right.

The "signature" NOD leaves on an email that is seen if you send yourself an email is only seen by another user who is using NOD. I sent myself an email to my other machine which is running XP and NAV 2003 (not for much longer though) and the "signature" does not show up.

I sent lighterman an email from my 98 machine where I'm trialling NOD at the moment and it shows and he replied to that machine, and it shows.

This is obviously a very minor thing and nowhere near as important as the real job NOD does, but I think this is the solution.

Cheers

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

epoxpro

NOD only appends incoming email. It will not put a message on outgoing mail.

From the help file included with NOD.

IMON's primary role is to monitor incoming email. The key advantage of IMON, compared to its predecessor (POP3 scanner), is its ease of use. There is virtually no setup necessary since this module is email client independent. IMON works on the winsock level.

23. Atangel

Atangel Registered Member

Your friend is seeing the message that his copy of NOD is appending to his incoming message. Your version of NOD will (should?) append that message to any e-mail you receive from any source.

When you look at IMON, the number of files scanned, is it zero? Perhaps there is an LSP issue no-one has considered? If so, try clicking "repair now" in IMON > Set Up > Misc Tab

You aren't using google mail, are you?

PS: Mailwahser user as well. MW Pro is just another fancy kind of POP client and doesn't get between the standard mail client and the server. POP is direct from MW PRO to the mail server. It isn't a proxy thing.

Attached Files:

24. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Yes, NOD appends the message when it receives the email. The other machine can't append a message from NOD on receipt because it's running NAV :)

You are both running NOD. Each of your machines appends the message on receipt of the email at that machine.

We're back to the start of the thread. NOD appends the message on receipt of an email. It doesn't append a message when you send an email. That is by design.

Glad to see that NOD appears to be working fine for both of you :)

25. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi folks,

All the recent posts are spot on and it sounds like the issue is resolved, but I thought that lighterman and epoxpro were both running NOD32 Trial version from the outset, if I understood the intial posts correctly. So I'm slightly confused about the initial posts but if everyone's happy and enlightened and all is functioning correctly now, that's excellent. Good work from all contributors!

Toodle pip.
    Bandicoot. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.