Image or Clone OS?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bullma99, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullma99

bullma99 Registered Member

Hello. I purchased T10 earlier today. I want remove drive and replace before selling. I hooked up new HD. Selected CLONE. Removed Old Drive. Rebooted with new HD with no problems. However, what I wanted was to leave new drive with OS, not full clone. I want to do it again, but this time I just want to live PC with essentials only-that is OS only along with MS Office.
    Where did I go wrong? Was I supposed to make a back up of System only?
    Please advice.

Thanks

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This thread will likely be moved to a more appropriate forum shortly, but in the meantime:

If you want a fresh start on a new drive, then you are going to either need a disk image of an early, "clean", state, or you'll need to format and start from scratch. It sounds like formatting will be the way to go at this point.

Disk clone does just that, create an exact clone of the file system from one system to another. It won't have the capability of selectively choosing programs. After formatting, however, you should be able to "mount" the disk image as a drive (making it appear like hard drive or CD drive with the entire contents of that disk image) which you can use to copy you personal files from. Alternately if you just leave the old drive in the system as a secondary ("slave") drive, then you can do the same without mounting an image. Just take care that you format the new drive and not the old one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.