Image Files Not Overwriting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by frumpy, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frumpy

frumpy Registered Member

I have v10 enterprise edition of True Image running on my corp network. I have set the software to create a weekly Full image and daily incremental images.

Everyting is running successfuly, but I am concerned that the daily images are not overwriting each other. So I know have images stretching back for two weeks.

This is great except that in another two weeks my External NAS will be full.

Anyone and idea what I should d now to stop that happening, or then when it happens.

:D

Thanks

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Incremental backups are exactly that - they create a difference file since the last incremental backup; together with the original Full image they form an archive of files, each one of which is necessary to restore the source.

Differential backups create a difference file since the original full image. You therefore only need the original Full backup and the current differential backup to restore the source.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Though IIRC, you cannot perform a successful validation without all differential children present.

F.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Apologies that I forgot to mention that... thanks ;)

This is actually a bug that Acronis have promised (several times) to fix. The bug only affects validation, restoring the archive from the original Full and one Differential works correctly (as it should :cautious: )

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If your weekly FULL is reusing the same name, then after the FULL is overwritten, the INCs will start to get overwritten. They will NOT be deleted, so the old ones will still be there (although unusable).

6. frumpy

frumpy Registered Member

Great guys thanks for the input here I will chack my Full is being overwritten

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello frumpy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

In order to avoid confusion please let me correct you. At this moment the latest version of Acronis True Image Corporate Product Line is 9.1. Version 10.0 is the version of Acronis True Image Home.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this article explaining the difference between incremental and differential image archives. You can find the detailed instructions on how to the program in the User's Guide for the respective version of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.