Image Corruption "possible software confliction"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Brigalow, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brigalow

Brigalow Registered Member

Hi all,
    ive pretty much given up on getting TI 9 working on my system. I was working on build 3633 (last) however for some reason have not been able to register the product online for any further updates... and im not paying for the software again to possibly find it impossible to register/update as i dont like being bitten in the posteria twice thankyou.

Relevant system info....
    GA-8knxp rev 2, p4 3ghz prescot, abit fx5600, 1gig (2*512) corsair xms, 120gig sata 2 WD, 300gig sata 2 WD, 10 gig random ide hard drive. (120 gig partitioned into 20 for operating systems and images created to another partion on the 300gig) Also with/without HT durring testing and ACPI uniprocessor mode.

I have been following these forums for a while now and have tested hardware cable ram etc to be happy with their performance. Anyhow to make a long storry short put app onto working system and had problem with image/archive verfication as in many posts and was unable to recover the system partition. Formated :oops: started from scratch with the OS (XP Pro SP2) installed and nothing else TI9 worked great from both windows and recovery CD. Next installed mobo chipset drivers, network drivers and zone alarm firewall plus about 75% of windows critical update only. Tested TI9 again and still worked fine windows and recovery console. OK here it comes... Next installed the following. Soundcard driver (AC 97) mobo utilities (Gwum, easytune 5), remaining windows critical and non critical updates, daemon tools 4.xxx, AVG, full office 2003 suite plus updates, acrobat 7. Tested TI9 again....... corruption issues started again........ in both windows and recovery console. Was able to always create images/archives however 100% failied verification. ...... This was reprodced twice so may possibly be some confliction in the last software installations mentioned.

Unfortunately for me at the moment TI does not appear to be an opption and im not going back to ghost 9.... i think its time to return to the beast know as ghost 2003 :D . Just thought that perhaps this information may be usefull to someone else trawling through the 10 000 plus posts..... which brings me to my next point... how on earth was this software released with so many issues. Oh well hopefullt Acronis will get it going soon.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Any chance Easytune bumped up your memory or other timings?

Edit I should have also asked if you created an image with the boot CD version? If the verify worked with this image then it would very strongly point to a windows software conflict. If it doesn't fare any better then the problem is either HW related or a bug in TI.

Have you run chkdsk X: /r on your source and destination partitions? Substitute the drive letter of the partition for X. C requires reboot.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think you have provided the key information. In Windows the added software could cause corruption of backups as they are made or problems with the verification. However, from the Recovery CD, that new software is not running and has no significance. Therefore, the backup and verification from the Recovery CD should not have changed unless something else has happened.

Have you checked your hard drive for errors? Did you connect any other hardware either internally or via a USB or Firewire port? Have any motherboard BIOS settings been tweaked for speed? Something in hardware has changed.

Just for your reference, I have had no problems with the AC 97 sound driver, AVG, Adobe Reader 7, Office 2003 or Windows Updates in terms of backing up with TI 9 in Windows XP SP2.

Look hard at your hardware. :) Something is different.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Brigalow,

It's not clear to me whether you actually created an image from within the boot rescue environment, which then subsequently failed validation. As has been mentioned above, creating and validating the image within the Linux based rescue environment will rule out any interference from your Windows OS, drivers and applications.

Regards

5. Brigalow

Brigalow Registered Member

Ok guys i delved a little harder into the hardware side of things. Im no pro when it comes to computers but i managed to find a update for my bios and installed that on the next format. As for the initial problem i found that the gigabyte over clocking utility easytune seemed to be screweing things around in the windows environment after instalation even though i never opened it or modified it at all, the fact it was their seemed to be enough. This fixed issues with creating images and windows. As for the recvery side of thing after an exasperating time trolling though the hard drives, ram etc etc.... quite a few hours i found the problem....... Before updating my bios it was in the original configuration i setup on it more than a year ago and with everything running smoothly i had not toched it other than boot sequence or other minor things. There was a setting for CIA mode or somehting like that which is an automatic over and under clocking (depending on CPU usage) component which only come up in advanced mode which was screwing things around from the recovery console. I never noticed it before as in easytune when in window the CIA screen shows as disabled. Well long story short after the bios update i was forced to go through and check all my settings as sunch it was turned off. Completed format same apps as before mentioned all worked great. Turned on CIA in dos, does not appear in easytune as being turned on and yep i could not make and images once again........ the problem was that simple i feel deflated...... regardless of how much an idiot i look like hopefully this info helps someone else and thanks for your help guys

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think you look like an idiot at all and you should be congratulated for tracking down the problem. Until your post I never knew there were things like CIA which unlike the spy agency means CPU Intelligent Accelerator. TI would indeed increase the load such that CIA would try to increase "performance" obviously to the detriment of everything working as it should.

Glad you got it resolved and I think a lot of us are now a bit wiser after reading your solution. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.