Image Corruption on Verifying

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rebel Runner, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Runner

Rebel Runner Registered Member

I have started to experience problems with TI7 which, apparently is not officially supported anymore, so I hope someone here can shed some light on my problem and maybe help.

I've read through most of the other threads about image corruption and so hope to see if I have anything in common with them.

So, I have a new PC with a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M motherboard and a Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD.

I downloaded the latest version of TI7, build 638 and installed it.
    I have the 1 SATA HDD divided into 3 partitions. If I try to image the C:
    partition onto another partition the process appears to run smoothly with
    no reported errors but when I check the image file I get a message saying
    that the image is corrupt. I am also unable to restore this image file.

However, if I boot from the Recovery CD created by TI7 build 638, and
    image the C: partition it checks successfully both within the Recovery CD
    and within the windows version of TI after rebooting.

Have also found that if I create an image from within the Recovery CD
    which checks succesful, boot back into windows, check the image again; again the verify process is fine, but then move or copy the image to another partition on the same HDD, TI7 will then report the image as corrupt.

However, if I do the same thing but move or copy the succesful image to a
    network share after booting back into windows, TI7 will continue to report
    the image as successfully verified from its new location.

I did report this problem to Acronis (case number 232395) and was told that the problem had to be with either my HDD cable or the HDD itself. That I should replace the cable, the HDD or both.
    But I fail to see how it can be these items if I can create and successfully verify images using the Recovery CD.

I appreciate that it's looking like a problem with the OS as opposed to TrueImage but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be grateful.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Image files are BIG. While you may not notice any problems when copying MB-sized files around, try copying some really BIG files (like an WinXP ISO copy) and compare the destination with the source.

The magic Search term is 'checksum' ;)

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. Rebel Runner

Rebel Runner Registered Member

Thanks for your replies so far.

I have been trying different file operations on some large files.
    To give some background, my one HDD is split into 3 partitions;
    C: - 10 Gig
    D: - 10 Gig
    E: - 100 Gig

I copied an old TI image file from another pc I knew to be valid to C: and confirmed it was OK by using TI to check the image - it checked fine. The image file was approx 456 MB in size. I also used fsum.exe from www.slavasoft.com to calculate a md5 checksum for the image file.

I then copied the image file from C: to both D: & E: and used fsum.exe to compare the md5 checksum from the original file to the copies. The checksum on the copies was different from both the original file and from each other.

I deleted the copies and repeated the test 5 times. On only one occassion did the file copy successfully to the D: partition but never to E:

I then tried another file; a 736 MB avi file.
    Again, I copied it to C: and made sure it was OK by playing the file. I was able to watch the video, fast forward & rewind without any obvious problems. I also used fsum.exe to calculate a checksum.

I then copied the avi file to D: and watched the video again. Everything seemed OK, I could see the video & fast foward and rewind like before. However, the checksum on the file was different.

I ran Memtest 86+ the other day after reading some of the other threads. I only ran it for approx 75 minutes but it did not show any errors in that time. I will run it over night later on.

I appreciate that the problem is not related to TI but would appear to have another cause but if any suggestions are made for possible causes and solutions I would be grateful.

Many thanks :)

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

You could try go into the Device Manager (My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager) and lower the transfer speeds. I don't know about SATA disks, but for PATA disks, the normal (and fast) mode is something like DMA Mode 5. Try DMA Mode 2 and see if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.