Image corrupted (0x70020) Tag = 0xF5F8CBCF76155638

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NisSAM, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NisSAM

NisSAM Registered Member

Sometimes during backup validation I receive an error message like in the title.

I do backups to an Archive Warehouse and I always keep several backup versions so I have about 10 files in the same place. Validation after backup checks all this files.

The main question is - how to find from this very user unfriendly message what is the name of the corrupted file? I can't find in the journal the name of the file that has been really corrupted. Journal contains a lot of information except the file name.

I've created the case 00092368 on russian technical support site but I have no any answer for two weeks.

Regards,
    Sergey.

2. NisSAM

NisSAM Registered Member

Can anybody help?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What is an "Archive Warehouse"?

The Image Corrupted message means that TI cannot read the archive contents and correctly calculate the many checksums properly. Only 1 bad bit in a TI archive will cause the error.

Can you access the archives individually and use the TI validate feature. Note that if your archive is spread over several files such as if you would obtain if you had a 12GB archive and it was split into three 4GB pieces, you only have to select one of the tib files and TI will validate all 3 tib files that make up the archive.

Causes for image corrupt message can be anything from faulty storage media such as a bad sector, faulty cable, faulty controller, network connection failure if applicable, bad RAM, bad motherboard, etc.

For a normal device such as an internal drive, USB drive the first thing is to run chkdsk X: /r on the device. Substitute the drive letter of the device being tested for X.

Run Memtest86+, available free from www.memtest.org , current version is 2.11. Let it run for several passes but overnight is preferred.

4. NisSAM

NisSAM Registered Member

Sorry for my translation from Russian to English. I have Russian version and have no opportunity to check its translation in English version.

I mean the place where the TI keeps all archives automatically. You just have to set quota for total size, for number of copies and how long to keep copies.

The main problem is not the fact that one of 10 files is broken. The problem is - how to find which one is broken.

At the moment I temporary move one by one file out of warehouse and check if the error still persists. As soon as the error disappears I know that the last moved file is broken.

I do this boring and stupid work because I don't know any other method to find the broken file. The error message contains only vague tag number and I don't how this tag is connected with file name.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NisSAM and seekforever,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If your program creates multi volume backup (e.g. auto split it to several parts due to limitations of filesystem), the message about corruption means that entire volume is unrecoverable. If this is a backup chain of incrementals\differentials, software checks the whole sequence. To determine the exact corrupted backup, please validate the images in the following order:

For example, your backup chain is full-inc1-inc2-inc3. First, validate inc3 (software checks full-inc1-inc2-inc3) chain. Then validate (full-inc1-inc2) until you receive the message about successful validation.

Please note that corrupted archives could be created because there are some bad sectors or unreadable data resides on your HDD.

Please perform the following operations:

-Check the disks for errors

Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

-Change the backup location (for example save your backup to the internal HDD instead external)

-Please try to perform the operations using Acronis Bootable Media. To create it please follow: Tools -> Create bootable rescue media. Then boot your machine from it and you will be able to use Acronis True Image Home without booting any OS.
    Acronis Bootable Rescue Media is a standalone version of Acronis True Image Home, burned onto a CD and based on a Linux operating system.

If the issue still persists, please follow suggestion given by seekforever - test your RAM module. The description of the process is available here.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.