I'm Sure NOD32 is the culrpit

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Albinoni, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Sorry but I hate to say this, how much I love NOD32 and have been using V2 for over 3 yrs, but ever since I updated and installed V3.0 AV my computers performancw with Vista has been playing up and this goes especially with Firefox V3.0. Also strangely enough when I had to reboot my PC/laptop the NOD32 V3.0 splash screen loaded but there was no NOD32 icon in the taskbar in which there normally is.

Here are some of the faults:

1. When using Firefox 3 all will work well for a short period before long I will get
    a message on the screen saying I am unable to open firefox because there is
    aleady Firefox running, but its running in the background and all I see is the
    desktop. So I decide to go Task Manager to close it Off completely and re-
    open FF to start from scratch. But when I try close I cannot at all close FF
    no matter how many times I press End Process.

2. Computer takes 10 mins if not bit more to start up, not like before which
    took less than 5.

3. Sometimes screen will just lock up, have to re-boot laptop.

4. Refresh rate by pressing Right mouse button and chooseing Refresh takes
    ages.

5. When I booted up my laptop earlier, during the boot process after the
    Logon screen I got the Eset V3.0 splash screen logo, sadly enough NOD32
    AV did not load or I cannot see it in the takbar.

I've never encountered this version with 2.7

I would love to stick with 3.0 due to it having a better Engine etc and bein
    much newer than 2.7

I dont want to point my fingers 100% at NOD32 but I hava a gut feeling it is.

2. element119

element119 Registered Member

what version nod32? .667 and .669 seem to have issues.

3. Albinoni

Its 3.0.667.0

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

So what is stopping you recording some basic metrics for current performance, uninstalling, and then examining those metrics again to see if there is a difference?

5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello, Albinoni!

1. I had got similar problem and I am sure that it doesn't have something common with ESS/EAV. Do you use any plugins in Firefox? You can try create new profile.

2. There can be problem with scanning some file. Try to disable "System startup file check" tasks in Scheduler.

3,4. It mean desktop - wallpaper, icons, running programs?

5. Did you have some malware? Run value should have been damaged.

Regards

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It is possible ESET NOD32 Antivirus is conflicting with another program (or remnant of a program) which is (or was) installed on the computer.

Did you have another antivirus program installed on the computer before you installed ESET NOD32 Antivirus? If so, how did you uninstall it?

Is there any other security software installed on the computer besides ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

Knowing the answers to those questions will help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. Albinoni

Could be but the Q here is which one. I did have EAV V2.7 on previously before updating to V3.0 and I did eventually get rid of all of 2.7.

I did also install BD Free Edition V10 (Bitdefender) but I uninstalled it ASAP as I found it to be very very slow when it came to updating, so I uninstalled it by the Add/Remove Progs in Vista.

Most definately; ZA Pro FW, Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster and like I said previously BitDerender Free Editon in which I removed. I did also have Spyware Guard as well which I removed as well.

My other option would be to uninstall NOD32 for a while and just use Avast or go back to NOD32 V2.7 and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  8. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Don't discard the possibility that it is a bug with FF v3. I don't have the link(s) but I was just reading yesterday about a number of serious problems people have been having with FF v3 and they have reverted back to FF v2 until all the bugs are worked out.

9. Albinoni

10. SoCalReviews

I have not experienced the full system lockup issue that you are describing. IMO it sounds like you either had a partially corrupted NOD v3 install or ZAP 7.x's settings need to be adjusted (possibly even the database might need reseting), or its simply related to bugs from the installation of FF v3. To help avoid installation conflicts I always temporarily disable ZAP on startup and reboot before installing a new version of ZAP or before installing another major security program update such as a new AV program or version update.

You may or may not be aware of another issue that I have posted about frequently...when using NOD v3 and ZAP 7.x I did run into what appears to be a minor incompatibility specifically occurring when some of ZAPs advanced privacy features such as "mobile code control" and other privacy settings are enabled. This issue effects the ability to remain logged in while browsing on some secure web sites that require cookies. In this situation when you click on links to pages within that site that same secure site does not recognize you as being logged on and continually requests that you to re-log on with a name and password. I have mentioned this in several recent posts...but again this does not sound like the issue you are describing after you installed FF v3. Here is a link to another thread with a post I recently made regarding this issue...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=215233

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  11. Albinoni

So what do you suggest I do, completely uninstall both NOD32 and ZA Pro than re-install. When I re install which one to put on first ?

Thanks

12. Albinoni

Sorry but with your 1st post in which i'm totally confused. You mentioned something about before you install a newer version of ZA Pro or any other security software you will temporarily disable ZA, why temporarily disable it ?, wouldn't the better option would be the completely uninstall it than load the new one, just my own personal info. If I were to install a new version of NOD32 I would not disable the old one than install the new one, but actually uninstall the old one and follow up by installing the new one.

13. SoCalReviews

You could completely uninstall ZA but I have found that is usually not necessary. From my experience I have not found that any "specific order" (i.e. AV first, then FW second, or FW first, etc.) for installing these programs makes any difference. This specific ZA and NOD32 topic might be better for the firewall section of this forum but hopefully this detailed explanation will help...

1) What always works for me when installing a brand new version of ZA is... under Overview > Preferences , Un-Check the box for "Load ZA at Startup", then reboot, ZA should not load up after reboot, next install the latest version of ZA and choose the "Clean Install" option. You will lose all your previous configurations and customizations when you do this but it helps avoid any possible installation conflicts from the previous version. Why does this help? It is not "required" to uninstall ZA because un-checking the ZA load at startup option also helps avoid conflicts. This even helps when you are installing a new version of an AV program such as NOD32.

As you know...Firewalls, HIPS, AVs, ASWs, and most security software are designed to block threats but they sometimes have been known to partially block the installation or un-installation of other security software or major updates (i.e. Windows updates, etc.). "Temporarily disabling" those programs in their options settings and then (if necessary) rebooting can help avoid these conflicts.

2) If this does not work and you believe you still are having problems from a corrupted ZA installation then there are ways to fully and manually uninstall ZA and most of its associated files. Since this is an ESET/NOD32 support area I would suggest that you post for more help in the firewall section of this forum or access the official ZA support forum for help and information about how to do this.

3) Regarding your NOD32 installation (of v3 or v2.7)...If you think you are having problems with any installation it would be a good idea to temporarily disable ZA and also temporarily disable the NOD32 active protection (then reboot) before installing or re-installing a new or different version of NOD32. You could also just completely uninstall NOD32 before installing another version. Make sure you re-enable any active protection (for AV or ASW, etc.) and re-enable the ZA on startup option after a successful installation or re-installation of your updated program(s).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  14. agoretsky

Hello,

With so many security packages on the computer, it is possible you are experiencing a conflict with some leftover driver or service. What I would suggest doing to troubleshoot this is as follows:

• Download, but do not install, the latest version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus as well as the installation packages for the other security software.
    • Uninstall all of the other security programs through the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel and also following whatever steps the developer recommends to perform manual uninstallation (run a specially-downloading program or script, remove files or registry keys and so forth). You will also want to do the latter for the previously uninstalled anti-virus software to make sure no remnants of it remain on the system.
    • Restart the computer, even if you are not prompted to do so.
    At this point, you should have a "clean" operating environment, at least with respect to security software. However, it is possible that changes were made to the operating system's network settings which were not reverted by following the instructions above, so continue on the following.
    • Reset the network stack per Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP." Although the instructions are for Microsoft Windows XP, they also apply to Windows Server 2003, Vista and Server 2008.
    • Restart the computer again, even if you are not prompted to do so.
    • Install the freshly-downloaded copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, configure it as you like and allow it to download updates.
    At this point, I suspect the computer will be working well, and you can begin installing the other security packages, one at a time, until you have all the security software packages installed. I would suggest that you verify the computer is working properly between package installations.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Albinoni

Here's a continueation to my on going problem and let me explain to you clearly whats happening.

I will be surfing the Net on Firefox 3, say for 30 mins or so and then all of a sudden my Internet connection will drop or better to put it FF 3 cannot seem to pick up any Internet. So what I do is Exit FF 3, than re-open it again to start again. But now when I go to open it, it tells me that Firefox is already running and for me to open it I need to close it or reboot the PC, than re-open it again. So the common practice would be to go to task manager and close it from there, but when I do so it just refuses to close no matter how many times I try by pressing End Process all the time. It gets very very frustrating for me and I have to end up re-booting the PC each time, which is a totally waste of time.

Now here are the programs in which i reckon that might be causing this problem:

1. Firefox 3
    2. NOD32 V3.0 AV
    3. ZA Pro Firewall

BTW I did reset the TCP/IP stack but did not seem to fix my problem.

16. Alec

Alec Registered Member

You've gotten essentially the same, good advice several times already. You need to perform a complete uninstall of your third party security software. Not just using add/remove programs, but also following any additional manual steps for a clean uninstall that the vendor recommends (eg, as I recall, Zone Labs recommends using the command line switch "/clean" on their uninstaller to perform a complete uninstall). Only then do you try things like resetting the network stack, if you feel it is necessary. Try at this time to note the metrics you feel are out-of-the-ordinary... that is boot-up duration, app-start duration, etc. Are they still out-of-the-ordinary? Then perhaps you need to uninstall another app, or perhaps you have corrupted something in the OS or registry itself. If they are back to "normal" then you can begin install apps one at a time.

The problem isn't likely to just go away, and taking a piece of advice (the network stack reset) isn't going to likely help either. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and completely uninstall some apps, and perform some clean re-installs. In the process, you may discover a larger problem in the base OS, or possibly even hardware, if things don't go back to "normal" after the uninstalls.

17. Albinoni

To answer your post above, as a fact I use an uninstaller called Your Uninstaller which does a far far better job than your normal Add/Remove in Windows. This software actually fully uninstalls your software plus all the registry entries as well and does a thorough job of uninstalling. After using this I normally go into the registry to remove and delete any left overs in which I ever hardly find because your uninstaller has done it for me. Finally after all that I do a clean with CCleaner.

Now the thing here is that I've noticed this has seemed to come on after I installed NOD32 V3, I'm not pointing my finger to NOD32 as such but I'm suspecting.

What I am going to do is to completely uninstall NOD, ZA Firewall Pro and all other security software temporarily, than re install just Avast Home and avtivate the built in Windows FW. Also I will revert back to FF 2 and uninstall FF3.

But what I cant understand why the disconnections or cut offs after 20 mins or so.

18. agoretsky

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that security software often makes changes to a system after it is installed, sometimes long afterwards. Even if you are monitoring the installation with a third-party utility, that program might not catch the changes made to a system by security software post-reboot.

Many security programs make changes to the system after they have been installed when they are first run, or later on when they are reconfigured, new modules are added and so forth. This can leave program files, processes, services, device drivers and other objects on a system which were not deployed as by the original installer. As a result, having third-party installation logger may only roll-back the changes made using the installation service and miss these other changes.

Please make sure you follow your security vendors' instructions for manual removal after uninstalling their software through the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel or the provided uninstallation item on the Start Menu.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.