I'm quitting NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dib, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dib

dib Registered Member

I switched to NOD32 from Norton because it was antithetical in every notable way: negligible memory footprint; insignificant processing consumption so it can run even while gaming; and the older versions had none of the nuisance factors found in the other anti virus products I tried. Being simple and effective was appealing and why I've used it for years and recommended it to family and friends.

If I wanted it to stop running or close the program entirely, it was that simple. As of this writing, that doesn't happen any more and the icon is omnipresent to perpetually remind me that it's been disabled.

It bombards me with unncessary notices, the latest ones to inform me that my "Operating System is not up to date" because I've elected to _not_ install some Windows 'features' (what the hell does not having WMP 11 even have to do with my anti virus functionality?)

If I take my laptop anywhere and it's offline for a period, I get even more nuisance popups telling me that it can't connect unless I manually go in and disable the update scheduling, which then gives me more notifications that it's out of date and purportedly at risk. And if I elect to not run some features that I don't require like email scanning, I get even more notices because it's convinced I must be insane to not want it enabled.

In other words: NOD32's annoyance factors have outgrown its utility and clearly has stopped being worth using over any other anti virus. Because for some reason they decided that it should mimic the worst parts of competing products which were the reason I switched in the first place.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

RIP :D

i know more people switching due to that reasons back to NOD.
    at least i wont write that in general but for each case its specific why some
    software is annoying. Give a hijackthis-logfile for overview and we can talk about.

but you already switched - so why talk again? ;)

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Its yelling at you about updates because running the latest version of software, especially things are run as a plugin to a browser and can easily hit by any random page invoking the WMP engine, is a cornerstone to keeping a computer secure. AND, surprise surprise, that feature is completely configurable if you put in the slightest bit of effort looking in to it.

AV software is frankly worthless if you aren't keeping signatures up to date, and there are plenty of viruses that will block your AV software from updating or running correctly, so it behooves a product to inform the user if updates are failing. Don't like it? Guess what! That's also configurable.

Don't want email scanning? Then disable the POP3 scanning and remove the plugins from your email client if they are there. The disable button you are clicking is designed to temporarily turn off filtering components in the event that there is some kind of conflict, it is not for permanently unloading those modules. A bad company wouldn't give you that level of configuration flexibility. Eset does.

Those features are there to maintain general system health for the average user. As you obviously think of yourself as some manner of 'power user', it mystifies me as to why you were unable to bash three words in to Eset's knowledge base to learn how to configure things to your liking. Actually, it doesn't, because I know your type: Just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous. You'll float from product to product, complaining the whole time, while never bothering to stop as ask yourself why every AV product out there is monitoring patching status, definition updates, and engine components running correctly. You and you alone hold in your brain some sort of magical knowledge that all the programmers and incident handlers and analysts are not privy to. You truly are... A Computer God.

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Rofl. I would say he hit a sensitive spot with you. :D

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since this thread started with a statement and no request for support using the product, the thread is closed.

In the event support is needed, feel free to post a support query.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.