IIS Server Spec Help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Trooper, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking to spec out a new server here at work. It will be a web server running IIS. My boss wants to stay with Windows Server 2003, but Im wondering if we should just go with 2008 which I've read supports the latest version of IIS.

It will have to be a Dell box, just because that's who we have a deal with. But I'm looking for thoughts any ideas on server hardware. I want to make it a bit future proof as well.

So if anyone could direct me with what kind of hardware to go with I would appreciate it. Currently we are hosting four websites, but that may grow in time.

Any questions please post.

Thanks.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What type of traffic/load are you expecting? Static websites or anything that will be running off of databases? Because that will steer your product choice significantly. Or it should anyways.
    Budget, expected growth of website(s)?
    PowerEdge R210 is a nice flexible model...assuming you want rackmount instead of a tower.

RAID, redundant power supplies, will the "host" be providing a good battery UPS?

Will the "host" be providing any hardware firewall protection and ACLs?

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sorry for the way late response.

I'm just looking for a tower. Thinking of staying with Windows Server 2003, unless I have to buy with 2008.

At the moment we are only hosting 5 sites, but looking to do more. The server sits in our DMZ, so it will need to be hardened a bit.

Have to go with Dell since that is who we have a contract with. Was thinking mirrored hard drives as well.

Any more advice? I'm cruising the Dell site right now.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.