IGFXSRVC.EXE...is it necessary?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Friar Tuck, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Registered Member

This is an Intel file, but I cannot find any information about it on the Intel web site. Does anyone have any information about it, like is it really necessary, or can I kill it? It is a huge resource hog.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Its needed for your video driver, I wouldn't remove it, its needed for the tray icon as well the applet for changing video settings.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've turned it off, as I do not change video card settings. To make changes without igfx you can:

r-click desktop > settings > advanced > choose your video card software > make any changes. Personally the default settings with my video card software are fine for me.

"igfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use via the desktop tray."

Take Care
    Rico

PS Welcome to Wilders!

4. Friar Tuck

Ok, I won't kill it, but is there a way to put it out of MY misery? I removed the tray icon long ago, and I don't mess with display properties. If I don't let it load, what is the worst that will happen? I'm looking for ways to speed up this laptop, or at least get it back close to the speed it once had.

Thanks for your fast response. You should be working for Intel! I still haven't heard from them.

5. Friar Tuck

Thanks Arup and Rico. I will disable it. I have the Mobile 945GM Express chipset in this Acer laptop.
    By the way, I got an email response from Intel with several links to the chipsets and drivers, but no info on the file yet (holding my breath!).

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Try unchecking the option before you remove the service completely.

Attached Files:

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

r-click my computer > manage > services > stop igfxtray then dbl click igfxtray choose disable. It can be re-enabled at any time. Nothing gets deleted.

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.